City Council President Chris Knisely presides over the meeting in the Council Chambers in the city building Nov. 23. (FILE)

Council to discuss possible installation of accessible chair lift in Athens City Building

Patterson told The Post in February that renovations and installation for the lift may cost about $45,000.

Athens City Council will vote Monday on the disposal and replacement of multiple city vehicles and efforts to make the Athens City Building more accessible.

One of the city’s most “beloved” salt trucks, according to Athens Mayor Steve Patterson, has run its course after this past winter. Its disposal and replacement will be up for vote at this week's meeting.

At council's Jan. 25 meeting, councilwoman Michele Papai, D-3rd Ward, estimated the cost of a new salt truck to be between $80,000 and $100,000.

Council will also vote on the replacement of two sewer trucks that are aged and in bad condition, and an ordinance to authorize a rapid water line replacement.

An ordinance to authorize the mayor to submit an application to the Ohio Development Services Agency for the 2016-18 Community Housing Impact and Preservation Program, or CHIP, will also be up for vote.

CHIP is a federally-funded program that provides money to city governments to go toward the improvement of affordable housing for low-and-moderate income residents.

Council members will also begin discussions to authorize the installation of a chair lift in the Athens City Building in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="9e73c168-0054-11e6-80a5-5f01add36f64"}}

Patterson told The Post in February that renovations and installation for the lift may cost about $45,000.

Up for first ordinance, council will discuss the possibility of authorizing the mayor to enter into an agreement with the Ohio Department of Natural Resources.

Council will also discuss the disposal and replacement of a tractor mower in the department of Arts, Parks & Recreation and a van for the Athens County Municipal Court.

@alysitbe

ap490814@ohio.edu