Editorial

Editorial: Saying goodbye to 'The Post' as a broadsheet

Next year, The Post will publish as a weekly tabloid.

Today’s issue will be the last daily, broadsheet version of The Post.

Friday, we’ll put out a tabloid edition of all our best photos from the past four years, which we’ll pass out at Ohio University’s commencement ceremony. That won’t be the first time readers see our tabloid edition (we published a mockup in January and a special edition devoted to innovative students a few weeks ago), but it will be the first time a reader will see our transition cemented.

It’s only fitting that we allow the graduating seniors a special issue of The Post before we see them off, and welcome freshmen this fall with our new print layout and freshly-designed website. Everything comes full circle, and it’s about time we make good on our promise to change and to innovate.

To be fair, we’ve published as a tabloid before. The Post hasn’t always been a daily newspaper. 

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="9389bcea-0733-11e6-aa6d-bbec0b630b11"}}

We’re not building a kingdom in a summer, but we are refurbishing the castle. Our editors could allow a teary goodbye to The Post Ohio University students have known for the past several decades — the one they find on newsstands, read in class and save when they’re mentioned in its articles — but we know that we have to move past asking students to find us wherever we are.

This time, The Post wants to find you, whether that be on social media, your smartphone, your laptop or on your living room couch (where you’ll read our weekly tabloid edition, of course.) We want to produce the sort of news you want to read, and put it where you’d like to read it. That only seems right.

Our editors have spent the year planning for this moment — the big plunge.

In between breaths, we’ve put out close to 140 papers, published several hundred stories and, even when it seemed impossible, enjoyed ourselves.

It’s time to plunge. So goodbye daily Post for now — and thanks for reading.

For web: Editorials represent the majority opinion of The Post's executive editors: Editor-in-Chief Emma Ockerman, Managing Editor Rebekah Barnes and Digital Managing Editor Samuel Howard. Post editorials are independent of the publication's news coverage.