Members of Marching 110 drill their formations during practice at Pruitt Field on August 24. The marching band will be traveling to France in the summer.

Marching 110 to perform overseas first week of summer break

The Marching 110 will be taking a trip to France to perform in Normandy, The Eiffel Tower and Disneyland Paris.

In 2013, the Marching 110 went on its first international trip to Ireland and Italy.

The marching band will take a similar trip the first week of summer break, but this time they are going to France.

Josh Boyer, the assistant director of the Marching 110, said there are 196 students and 80 fans, friends and alumni going on the trip in May, which brings the total number of people close to 300.

“It’s just a selective trip. We just decide it’s what we wanted to do,” he said.

The trip will last ten days and they will perform at three different venues, Boyer said.

Their first performance will be May 3 at the American Cemetery in Normandy where more than 9,000 American soldiers are buried.

Boyer said they will be performing a lot of patriotic songs that are “appropriate for the venue.”

The band’s next performance will take place May 4 at the base of one of the world’s most recognizable landmarks — The Eiffel Tower.

“Just the fact that we’re playing in front of The Eiffel Tower is amazing,” Amanda Weisbrod, a sophomore studying journalism and a former Post reporter, said.

The alto saxophonist said the band will be playing upbeat songs at the tower such as “Kiss You” by One Direction and “Uptown Funk” by Mark Ronson featuring Bruno Mars. She added that she loves seeing the crowd’s reaction to the upbeat songs.

The Marching 110 will conclude their performance schedule May 5 with a parade at Disneyland Paris.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="e8d4e892-08d1-11e6-b3e5-b728076e1c22"}}

John Rodesh, a junior studying music education, said they have been preparing the music for this trip since fall semester.

“I’m excited to see the crowd’s reaction to our performances,” Rodesh, who will be the Marching 110’s field commander in the fall, said.

Both Rodesh and Weisbrod said they are happy to being going on the trip.

“I’ve never been out of the country,” Weisbrod said. “I’m really excited that my first time will be with my 110 family.”

@georgiadee35

gd497415@ohio.edu