Siblings John Mlynarski, right, and Andrew Mlynarski, left, both came to Ohio to hone their shared craft of golf.

Men's Golf: Peyton White earns medalist honors at the Hoosier Invitational

Ohio finished fourth out of 15 teams. 

Peyton White finished in a tie for first place Sunday at the Hoosier Invitational, earning medalist honors for the first time this year.

Shooting a 2-under par in round one and 2-over par in round two, White finished shooting a 142 over the two rounds, shooting par throughout the entire tournament.

White finished in a five-way tie for first with Bradley’s Lyle Burns, Indiana’s Jake Brown, Illinois State’s Zach Burry and Illinois State’s Trent Wallace

He had seven birdies throughout the 36 holes.

"I was kind of checking the leaderboard throughout the day today, and just got off to a horrendous start by making a triple on 12, so I kind of thought I was out of it," said White. "I had four holes left, and I figured finishing strong would be very valuable to not only the team, but as an individual as well. I ended up birdying holes two and three, which were two of my last four holes. I definitely thought that left me a couple back, but then I checked the scoreboard, and I was tied for first."

White has been Ohio's top golfer the past two seasons, consistently being the top Bobcat on the leaderboard.

This may be the breakthrough White needed to lead Ohio to the Mid-American Conference Championship it has been striving to win for years.

Ohio finished in fourth out of 15 teams, one of its highest finishes of the year.

The tournament was originally planned to be a normal 54-hole event, but was reduced to 36-holes due to high winds. Round two started late Sunday because of frost on the golf course.

Grant Engel finished in a tie for 16th, shooting a 72 and a 76, a combined score of 148 for a 6-over par.

Ben Sattler tied for 36th, shooting 6-over par Sunday and finishing the tournament with an 11-over par. He had one birdie on the back nine in round two.

Mike Engelman shot a team-high 82 in round one, but brought his score down drastically in round two by shooting a 73, just 1-over par.

Brady Bohl made his 2015-2016 season debut at the Hoosier Invitational, in substitution of Ty Herriott. 

Bohl shot a 155 throughout the two rounds, 13-over par, for a tie for 48th place.

Ohio will be back on the links April 11-12 to compete in the Greenbrier Invitational at The Greenbrier in White Sulfer Springs, West Virginia.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="a1632792-f9c9-11e5-abea-a70a9f429f61"}}

"This week, to be able to go out there and be in second after that first day and hold our stuff together even though things weren't going our way early ... it was tough out there," White said."It's very difficult to maintain your position when it's difficult out there and the wind's blowing, but everybody kept their composure, kept it in front of them and did what they could. It's nice to have a top-four finish to build on."

@Pete_Nakos96

pn997515@ohio.edu