Singer Trace Cyrus of Metro Station performs at the TBT concert hosted by University Program Council and Black Student Cultural Programming Board in Baker Ballroom on Thursday. 

Metro Station got the crowd to 'Shake It' at UPC and BSCPB’s TBT concert

The #TBT act Metro Station created a comfortable atmosphere to “Shake It.”

After some deliberation, the crowd warmed up to Metro Station and strived to “Shake It” for an hour.

In Baker Ballroom, the ensemble including: Trace Cyrus, Miley Cyrus’ brother and Mason Musso, Mitchel Musso’s brother. Their siblings both starred in the Disney television show Hannah Montana together.

About 500 concert-goers danced to hits from the late 2000s including “Seventeen Forever” and “Kelsey,” but their most praised song throughout the entirety of the show was “Shake it.”

The annual TBT with UPC concert was hosted by University Program Council and Black Student Cultural Programming Board, and previously brought acts like Aaron Carter and the Ying Yang Twins.

Taylor Cifaldi, a freshman studying marketing, said her favorite part of the show was definitely when the band performed “Shake it.”

“I used to listen to them all the time, that used to be my favorite song when I was younger,” Cifaldi said.

Throughout the show, Trace Cyrus, the singer, songwriter and vocalist for Metro Station, offered a lot of encouragement to the crowd of Ohio University students.

“Follow your dreams,” Cyrus said. “The only limitations are the ones you have in your head.”

In between songs, Cyrus asked the crowd what bar to go to later, and the majority of them said The C.I.

“He was talking about the bars, you know, he said he was going to go to C.I., turn the eff up,” Shay Crone, a junior studying marketing, said. “So I turned the eff up.”

Despite the fact the band played songs off their new album, Savior for almost half of their set, the crowd was more responsive when the band played songs off of their first self-titled album.

Savior was released last July after the band got back together.

After performing “Kelsey,” the band asked the audience who was going to win the presidential election, which was met with replies of “Donald Trump” and “Bernie Sanders.”

“I thought it was awesome” Hannah Hershfield, the public relations executive at University Program Council, said. “I listened to them back in middle school so it’s kind of fun to like, see them come back, so our board was very excited about it.”

Cyrus told the crowd to dance even if they did not know the songs, but the crowd seemed unenthused for many of Metro Station’s newer songs. The crowd showed excitement about the band when they finally played their biggest hit “Shake It.”

After about five years of being broken up as a band, Cyrus said he could not believe that they were standing on the stage today.

“Tomorrow is not guaranteed so let’s have some f--king fun tonight,” Cyrus said to the crowd.

@mmhicks19

mh912314@ohio.edu