Athens City Building

Outdoor seating may be added near South Congress and Court streets

The project, however, could eliminate six or seven parking spaces on the north side of West Union Street.

Athens City Council members discussed the idea of creating more outdoor space for people to spend time Uptown.

The proposed area likely would be near South Congress and Court streets and would include tables for pedestrians to eat and socialize, according to council members at Monday's meeting.

“We talk about our city being pedestrian- and bike-friendly, and this would move that forward,” Chris Fahl, D-4th Ward, said. “It’s a very pedestrian-heavy area because of how nice it is Uptown, but there are few places for people to sit around and chat at the moment.”

Councilman Kent Butler, D-1st Ward, also expressed support for the idea and said the city should "entertain" options to make the area more inviting for visitors.

Athens Mayor Steve Patterson said a resident originally proposed the idea to him in November.

“I feel strongly that we need to get this rolling soon,” Patterson said. “It's time to look at our community through a slightly different lens."

The project, however, possibly could eliminate six or seven parking spaces on the north side of West Union Street, according to Michele Papai, D-3rd Ward, who added that it is "already a small uptown area to begin with."

Council also hosted a presentation from representatives of Bigbelly, an organization that focuses on changing the way waste and recycling is managed in public spaces.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="696cc27e-faca-11e5-9d79-33bad4c0fefa"}}

Robert Kutner, area vice president for Bigbelly, proposed the purchase of new trash and recycling receptacles, or “stations,” through his organization for the uptown area.

The new stations, designed specifically for pedestrian trash, would be solar-powered, have a 200-gallon capacity and feature compression technology to create more space within the receptacles.

“Since they are totally contained, it would completely erase overflow of litter into the streets,” Kutner said.

Kutner also said the increased capacity of the stations would decrease the number of times garbage trucks would need to collect trash and recyclables Uptown.

If Bigbelly's proposal is accepted by council, the new stations would cost up to $50,000 for the city.

Council members also continued the discussion to purchase 3,500 new recycling bins for residents.

The city recently received a grant of $80,000 from The Recycling Partnership to go toward the purchase of larger recycling bins for Athens residents.

Many council members, including Fahl, are concerned some residents may not use larger recycling bins.

“I know that some people are concerned that the new big blue bins will be the centerpiece of their yards,” Fahl said.

According to the grant contract, the money only will be awarded for the purchase of 24-gallon bins, which hold 6 gallons more than the current receptacles.

The contract also gives disabled and elderly residents the option to keep old recycling containers, but other citizens may not opt out.

“Change is hard, but change is good,” Councilwoman Jennifer Cochran, D-At Large, said. “I realize there will be obstacles with people giving up their beautiful red bins, but if we work together we can do this.”

@alyseitbe

ap490814@ohio.edu