Dr. Kim Thompson (left), Christine Copa and Kristin Lowery (right) speak at a panel for professional strategies for women in STEM moderated by keynote speaker J.J. DiGeronimo in Porter Hall on April 6. The panel was put together by the Society for Women Engineers (SWE) at Ohio University. 

Panel on women in STEM aims to impart career advice on students

STEM professionals draw on successful careers to offer wisdom. 

JJ DiGeronimo, the president of Tech Savvy Women, started her career in computer infrastructure after graduating from Ohio University in 1995 with a degree in computer information systems. 

On Wednesday, the technology executive and advocate for STEM — science, technology, engineering and math — returned to campus to speak to students about career development for women in STEM.

The event, titled “Professional Strategies for Women in STEM: Advice for Developing Your Career,” featured DiGeronimo as the keynote speaker and included a panel with other STEM professionals. About 50 people attended the event in Porter Hall to listen and ask questions.

It was hosted by the Society of Women Engineers, the American Association of University Women, Women in Information & Telecommunication Systems, Women in Information Systems and the Scripps Diversity Committee.

DiGeronimo stressed the importance of self-efficacy, or the belief in one’s ability to achieve specific results.

“Women really struggle articulating the value, the measurable results that they bring,” she said.

Despite the increasing opportunities in technology, DiGeronimo said fewer women seem to be entering the field at a time when there is a deficit between the job growth in STEM fields and the available talent.

Panelist Kristen Lowery, the associate vice president of technology infrastructure at Nationwide Insurance, said she originally came to OU with the intention of studying journalism.

“I went into technology by accident,” Lowery said.

Panelist Kim Thompson, an environmental and plant biology lecturer at OU, said she tries to be conscious of how women engage in class. Studies have explored why women speak up less in meetings compared to men, but Thompson said that sometimes applies in the classroom as well. 

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="8bd5ed82-fc63-11e5-a6b0-3f56bf674f1e"}}

“I try to pay attention to that as a teacher, to make sure women are voicing their opinions,” Thompson said.

Panelist Christine Copa, a technology consultant at Accenture, said many of the people she works with are relatively young, which offers a different environment.

DiGeronimo said the field of technology offers many career options beyond coding and programming, but the way universities communicate how skills are applied could affect interest. 

"Women are often more intrigued by the long-term value and impact on society," she said. 

Jennah Rawahneh, the president of OU’s chapter of the Society of Women Engineers, said she appreciated the focus on career building and thought the idea of self-efficacy was important.

“I think we had a really good turnout, and I think people learned a lot from it,” Rawahneh said. 

@norajaara

nj342914@ohio.edu