The LGBT Center Logo.

Query a Queer: Are people born gay?; how many people are LGBT?

An LGBT Center staff member answers the questions "Do you believe you were born LGBT?" and "How many gay people are there?"

Q: Do you believe you were born LGBT?

While many people believe they have been LGBT since birth, the outside emphasis on this concept can be problematic. Saying that someone is “born that way” is essentially equatable to saying that they can't help it that this who they are. Though it is true that LGBT people cannot change who they are, we should be celebrating our difference rather than tolerating it because “they were born that way." Personally, I do not think it matters if I was born this way or not; what matters is that I am proud of who I am and that I would not change it even if I had the choice.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="e498f958-ff5d-11e5-872e-57b36f2f1998"}}

Q: How many gay people are there?

Honestly, there is no definitive answer for this question anywhere. It has always been hard to try estimating numbers of LGBT people because often individuals in our community are forced to be in the closet. Knowing that there are so many people still in the closet, any numbers that are recorded in studies will most likely be inaccurate. However, it is safe to say that in almost any location or event you attend with a group of people will probably have a member of the LGBT community present. We are members of society at all levels and in all cultures.

Sarah Grote is a staff member for the LGBT Center at Ohio University. Do you have a question relating to the LGBT community? Email them to lgbt@ohio.edu or oulgbtcenter@gmail.com, tweet @oulgbtcenter with #qaqueer, tumblr at oulgbtcenter or post/message to the center’s Facebook page, oulgbtcenter. Individuals who submit questions will appear anonymously in our responses. All questions are welcome!