Redshirt junior pitcher Savannah Jo Dorsey pitches during a game against Akron at the Ohio University Softball Field April 16. The Bobcats have advanced to the next round of the MAC Tournament with a win over Western Michigan.

Softball: Rough pitching leads to two losses in double header against Ohio State

Ohio drops both games in double header to Ohio State.

While Savannah Jo Dorsey's stellar performance in the first game of a doubleheader was an outing the team could be proud of, the second game of Tuesday’s set was one the pitching staff will want to forget.

Ohio was swept in a doubleheader Tuesday, falling to in-state rival Ohio State by scores of 1-0, and 10-4.

While Dorsey was able to stay in control in the first game, the second game, with Danielle Stiene getting the start, got out of control early.

Ohio State center fielder, Taylor White, hit a two RBI triple to score the game’s first runs, and after two more runs in the second inning, Ohio trailed 4-0. Hermanek brought Dorsey into the game, her second appearance of the day, presumably ending Stiene’s night.

The game changed when Dorsey stepped back into the circle.

She got the run support that Stiene lacked, as the third inning was, offensively, Ohio’s best of the night. It scored two runs and managed to get through half of its batting order.

Deanna Cole got on base but was thrown out trying to steal second. With two early outs and Jamie Wren on base, Madison Claytor was walked and a Morgan Geno triple gave Ohio two runs as it drew within one.

Dorsey orchestrated the game from the circle, striking out five and allowing three hits. But, one of those few hits was a solo home run by White, which extended the Buckeyes lead to 5-3.

“I told them we need to chip away,” coach Jodi Hermanek said. “We’re not trying to go out and hit the fence, we just need to chip away, one at a time, but we can’t give anymore (runs) up.”

But fatigue set in when freshman Jamie Wren came in to try and save the game. 

“I wanted to get some opportunities for Jaime Wren,” Hermanek said. “Two-run ball game, late in the innings, I wanted to see what she can do. And working towards conference play to see how we can utilize her.”

It was not an ideal appearance for Wren. She only pitched 1/3 of an inning, but gave up five runs in the sixth and increased the Buckeye lead from two to seven.

Steine returned to the game to replace Wren, and was able to hold Ohio State at 10 runs for the remainder of the game, as Ohio ultimately fell 10-4.

The first game, however, wasn't nearly as lopsided as the second game was.

Ohio had no little problem keeping Ohio State off the scoreboard, but found difficulty in getting players into scoring position and leaving too many players left on base.

The Bobcats finished with five players left on base in the first game.

“We need to do a lot better job at getting players in scoring position,” Hermanek said. “We’re getting runners on, we just need to do a better job at runners in scoring position."

Dorsey and Ohio State ace, Shelby Hursh, competed in an incredible pitcher's duel, with Dorsey allowing the game's only run, which was unearned.

Both teams only combined for five hits throughout the game.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="f0d389dc-068c-11e6-9617-b37d17b80c14"}}

Hermanek and her team don’t have much time to regroup after the losses. The team's next games are on the road at Dayton on Wednesday, where they will play yet another doubleheader.

But the Bobcats know how to accept the loss and move on when things don’t go their way.

“We had a marine come in and talk to us a couple of weeks ago,” Dorsey said. “He said anytime they miss a mission, or they get it taken away and it goes to the army, he says, ‘good.” Because you get to prove that even in hardship, you can come out on top.”

@wynstonw_

ww773412@ohio.edu