Hudson Health Center is an on-campus facility for students' medical needs.

Students overcome with flu-like illnesses a week before final exams

Within the past two weeks, OU’s Campus Care has seen an increase in students with the flu, including members of their own staff, according to its Twitter.

The sun is out, birds are chirping and final exams are just a week away.

But many Ohio University students are spending the second-to-last week of the semester in bed with a box of tissues.

Within the past week, OU’s Campus Care has seen an increase in students with the flu, including members of its own staff, according to its Twitter. As a result, students have had to wait for as long as two hours to be seen by a physician.

“The flu has arrived late this season, which is sort of unusual, and indeed there are more cases the state is reporting, more cases of influenza now during the last couple of weeks,” Dr. James Gaskell, health commissioner at the Athens City-County Health Department, said.

However, the height of flu season has come and gone in Athens County and in the rest of the state, Gaskell said.

“If there’s an outbreak of influenza at Ohio University, that’s not characteristic of the state,” he said, adding that incidences of influenza this year are not as high as last year.

Gaskell said though he believes the influenza vaccine this year was a “good match” for common strains of the virus, many students may be sick with other respiratory illnesses that mimic influenza.

For students, the increase in fevers and runny noses is concerning, as many are beginning to prepare for finals week.

“I feel like everyone is just in class coughing and sick,” said McKenzie Marinello, a senior studying exercise physiology. “People can’t afford to miss class at this time of the year … I just don’t have time to get sick now, this week and next week are just so busy.”

In addition to her classmates, Marinello said two of her roommates, including her fraternal twin sister Megan, are also sick with flu-like symptoms. McKenzie is also recovering from a sinus infection and fever she had last week.

“I was sitting by someone who had a fever today in my class, and somebody was out with mono today, so I feel like everyone’s getting sick,” she said.

Tania Basta, an associate professor of social and public health, said a combination of stress and lack of self-care may be the cause for the recent uptick in student illness.

“It’s the time of the semester, it’s right before finals week, people are stressed out,” Basta said. “People may just be getting sick from weakened immune systems from being stressed out and not getting enough sleep.”

If someone is already presenting symptoms, it may be too late for a flu vaccine to be effective, Basta said, but there are other ways to prevent illness before finals.

“One of the things that we try to tell other people is to not go to class, don't go to work, don't try to be a hero because no one else wants to get sick,” she said.

Washing hands, coughing and sneezing into the crook of your arm and avoiding touching hands to the mouth or eyes may also help prevent the spread of illness, she said.

“It’s seen as some sort of badge of honor when you come to work or school sick,” Basta said. “If you’re feeling sick, stay home.”

@dinaberliner

db794812@ohio.edu