City Council President Chris Knisely presides over the meeting in Council Chambers in the city building on November 23, 2015. 

Athens Fire Department wins Walmart grant; City council looking for new vehicles

A tractor mower and van are among the vehicles Athens City Council authorized money to replace.

Some Athens residents might soon get a new fire extinguisher, courtesy of Walmart.

Athens City Council appropriated $1,500 to the Athens Fire Department on Monday night in order to buy new fire extinguishers, Councilman Kent Butler, D-1st Ward, said. The money was awarded to the city through a Walmart Community Grant.

Athens Mayor Steve Patterson said the fire extinguishers will be given to Athens residents who do not have the money to purchase one outright.

Walmart Community Grants are awarded within a $250 to $2,500 range to tax-exempt organizations, government entities, any level public or private schools and any faith-based organizations.

Councilman Jeff Risner, D-2nd Ward, also introduced legislation to increase to the annual income tax an additional .2 percent, bringing the total to 1.85 percent. If the ordinance passes, council will submit the proposal to the Athens County Board of Elections to appear on the ballot for the November general election.

"I just want emphasize Athens City Council is not going to hold a vote to increase income taxes," Risner said. "We will hopefully be holding a vote later to put this in front of the citizens of Athens."

Council also passed two ordinances that will allow the city to purchase new vehicles.

One of those bills will authorize the Athens Arts, Parks and Recreation Department to spend up to $25,000 for a tractor mower.

Butler proposed the legislation and said the department will be looking for a "new used mower.”

The other ordinance will allow the Athens County Municipal Court to replace a van. The legislation, which passed unanimously, will allow the city to dispose of the van and spend up to $50,000 for a replacement.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="db8600ae-1655-11e6-a024-1f593fb5fed9"}}

Risner said Athens County Municipal Court Judge Todd Grace is "going to do his best to buy local."

Council also took steps in passing an ordinance to dispose of a 2001 Ford Expedition owned by the Athens Fire Department. That ordinance is likely to be passed in a couple of weeks.

kf992915@ohio.edu

@KaitFochesato