Police Blotter

Crimes of the month: Athens County Crime Solvers Anonymous seek information on counterfeit money, break-ins, sexual assaults

In the most recent case the release described, a white male in an Ohio University T-shirt allegedly used a counterfeit bill to pay for merchandise at a Speedway.

Athens County Crime Solvers Anonymous called for information related to a counterfeit bill, a series of burglaries and a series of sexual assaults, according to a news release Thursday.

In the most recent case the release described as one of its May crimes of the month, a white male in an Ohio University T-shirt allegedly used a counterfeit bill to pay for merchandise at the Speedway on Richland Avenue on April 17.

The bill he allegedly paid with was determined to be counterfeit after he left the parking lot in a black Toyota Rav4 manufactured between 2006 and 2012, according to the release.

The release includes two photos of the suspect and one of the vehicle from surveillance footage.

The Athens Police Department is investigating the incident, according to the release.

The other cases the release described have appeared in each of the crimes of the month news releases since January and February.

APD is investigating three violent assaults between 2006 and 2015 that DNA analysis from the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation has linked, according to the release.

APD Chief Tom Pyle first announced that DNA analysis had linked the incidents in a January news conference, according to a previous Post report.

Pyle released a phenotype report in an April 6 news conference that predicted the appearance of the suspect based on the DNA samples from the incidents, according to a previous Post report. The release included a picture of that phenotype report.

The most recent assault allegedly occurred in December, according to the release, and bore a close resemblance to the two other assaults.

At about 2 a.m. on June 20, 2015, an unknown male approached a woman as she walked through the parking lot at the rear of 19 E. Carpenter St. and allegedly attempted to sexually assault her before others walking in the area scared him away, according to the release.

In 2006 a woman noticed an unknown male following her as she walked home from Uptown. After she arrived at home, a male allegedly entered her home illegally and forcibly raped her, according to the news release.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="522b08a8-f6ad-11e5-b0fc-1b2eb08a2939"}}

Based on accounts from women who reported the incidents, APD is seeking a white male in his late 20s to early 30s who is 5-foot-8-inches to 5-foot-9-inches tall and weighs about 160 pounds, according to the release.

In the final crime of the month outlined in the release, both APD and Nelsonville Police Department are investigating a series of break-ins.

In early February, alleged break-ins occurred at five restaurants in Athens and Nelsonville, and a sixth allegedly occurred in April, according to the release.

Similar items went missing from each location, according to the release.

Anyone with information related to the incidents can call Athens County Crime Solvers Anonymous at 740-594-3331.

@baileygallion

bg272614@ohio.edu