Sweet Arts Bakery opened on Union Street on May 12, 2016.

New bakery makes Union Street a little sweeter

Former military cook grows out of baking from her kitchen and expands to Union Street opening Sweet Arts Bakery.

For a little over two years, Jenn McClain-Eskey has only been able to utilize her own kitchen to create her sweet masterpieces. Now, she has expanded her passion for baking onto 817 W. Union St.

The former military cook and culinary student at Hocking College opened Sweet Arts Bakery on May 12 in response to the success she had cooking out of her home in Athens.

“My mom was a pastry cook at O’Bleness Hospital for 36 and a half years. So I grew up with pastries, and what not, and my grandmother decorated cakes. … That’s how it really started,” McClain said.

As McClain realized she needed more room to grow her business, she also recognized the need for a new name.

Looking for a more fitting title, McClain turned to Facebook and reached out to locals. Although there were numerous suggestions, nothing sounded quite right, she said.

“Ironically enough, when I first started, my home bakery was called Desserts by Jen. … I really didn’t think Desserts by Jen sounded big enough,” McClain said. “I really didn’t see anything I really had to have until my mom called me and she said ‘Sweet Arts, because it’s sweet and you’re an artist.’ And I was like, ‘Done.' ”

With a new location and name, McClain said she was ready to open doors and was pleased with the feedback.

“On a daily basis we have someone coming in from the Radford Road area thanking us for opening something on their side of town,” McClain said.

Sweet Arts Bakery boasts a wide variety on their menu. If it is sweet, more than likely McClain will attempt to make it if requested, she said.

“I like to tell people we specialize in sugar. … There are not many things that I won’t try to make. If I can find the recipe for it, I’ll make it,” McClain said.

While one can find favorites like tiramisu, cheesecake, doughnuts, cookies, brownies and homemade cakes in the new bakery, Sweet Arts is also catering to those with food allergies or special food needs.

McClain said there is a niche market for baked goods that are sensitive to people’s food allergies yet not a lot of places to actually find those fresh desserts.

“You have to go to Columbus right now to get that. … There’s just so many people that can’t have nuts or they can’t have gluten or what not,” McClain said.

Most of Sweet Art’s allergy-conscious items are special request.

“We don’t typically keep those in stock. But we do no added gluten, no added sugar,” McClain said.

Eventually, McClain wants to have a certified gluten and nut-free section added onto the shop. She envisions it complete with it’s own oven and wash bank, guaranteeing that all baked goods are safe for those with food allergies.

Offering items like the ones from the allergy friendly menu is one way Sweet Arts is differentiating itself in an already established Athens bakery market.

One establishment, Fluff Bakery & Catering located at  8 N. Court St., said they are supportive of a new bakery popping on the scene.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="add8541a-dc93-11e4-8969-371c67ddb9ad"}}

“Small business ownership is difficult, so I am pretty supportive of those who go for it and want to live their dream.”  Jessica Kopelwitz, an owner of Fluff Bakery, said in an email.

Much like Sweet Arts, Fluff uses its niche items to stand out in a growing market.

“We continue to carve out our niche with cakes, cupcakes, house made bagels, pastries, brunch, espresso, cocktails, and local beers. … Also, it's about location,” Kopelwitz said in an email. “We must cater to a different crowd than many other bakeries, from students to families, and as a result, we market ourselves differently.”

Striving to be a one-stop bakery, Sweet Arts is hopeful going forward.

“We go a step beyond and do everything. You could come in and get a cup of coffee and a cookie and order a birthday cake at the same time,” McClain said.

@saruhhhfranks

sf084814@ohio.edu