Officials, representatives all students should know

Every Bobcat should recognize these administrators, city officials and law enforcers.  

As new Ohio University students try Donkey Coffee or Big Mamma’s Burritos, they might run into a few city officials and Ohio University faculty members enjoying the Uptown eateries as well.

Getting accustomed to Athens involves getting to know the officials who often walk alongside students in Baker Center and on the brick roads of the city. Here are a few faces all OU students should know.

Roderick McDavis

Although he’ll be stepping down as OU’s president in June 2017, McDavis has spent 12 years serving the Athens campus.

He is the first African-American to serve the 212-year-old institution, the second alumnus to serve as president of the university and makes $480,000 year, according to a previous Post report.

He used to reside at 29 Park Place, right next to Baker Center. After his wife, Deborah McDavis, broke her foot in the house in a bat-related incident, the two moved to 31 Coventry Lane. The university signed a $1.2 million lease agreement for that house.

Pam Benoit

For seven years, Benoit has served as OU's executive vice president and provost. While she oversees OU's vice presidents and provosts, she also reports to the president and oversees academic programs, university budget planning and research. 

Before coming to OU, Benoit was a faculty member at Bowling Green State University and an administrator at the University of Missouri.

Jenny Hall-Jones

She received all her degrees from OU, but now, Hall-Jones serves as OU’s Dean of Students.

In the 2015-2016 academic year, she took on an extra role. When OU’s Vice President for Student Affairs, Ryan Lombardi, took a position at Cornell University, Hall-Jones took over that position in addition to her role of dean of students.  

Jason Pina

Pina comes all the way from Bridgewater State University, located in Massachusetts, as he becomes OU’s new vice president for student affairs.

This academic year will be Pina’s first year on campus, although he’ll start his new job June 13.

Currently, Pina serves as the vice president of student affairs and enrollment management at Bridgewater State University, which had a little more than 11,000 undergraduate and graduate students for fall 2015, according its website.

Deborah Shaffer

After serving as the senior associate vice president for Finance and Administration, Deborah Shaffer took over Stephen Golding’s role as OU’s senior vice president for Strategic Initiatives.

Shaffer will also serve as a treasurer of the Board of Trustees and treasurer of the OU Foundation in July, both positions previously held by Golding, according to a previous Post report.

Tom Pyle

During the acclaimed fests of Spring Semester, students might see The Athens Police Department Chief of Police Tom Pyle surveying the crowd.

Pyle oversees the staff that patrols the Halloween Block Party, fest season and everyday activities Uptown.

Andrew Powers

On campus, the police officer in charge is Chief Andrew Powers at The Ohio University Police Department.  

Chief Powers oversees the staff at OUPD, who show up at the dorms for any alleged drug use or violent behavior.

Rodney Smith

The City of Athens is in Athens County, which is protected by Sheriff Rodney Smith.

Although his office is right next to Donkey Coffee on Washington Street, his staff handles crimes throughout the county.

The department handles anything from heroin drug busts to domestic violence issues.  

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="5228aeaa-1895-11e6-a95d-532978e67fb9"}}

Steve Patterson

Patterson is the 43rd mayor of Athens.  

Before he took over mayoral duties, Patterson was a member of Athens City Council for four years and a professor at OU. 

Chris Knisely

All city ordinances, laws created specifically for the city, are written and voted on by Athens City Council and, the president of the group, Chris Knisley.

Before she joined city council, she was director of grant development at OU's Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine.

@Fair3Julia

Jf311013@ohio.edu