Skip the hills and save time with these shortcuts around campus

Avoid arriving to class looking out of breath and sweaty with these alternate routes.

Although Athens is known primarily for its brick streets and scenic views, Ohio University students tend to think of its multiple hills. Luckily, students have figured out the best routes and shortcuts to get from one place to the other on foot while avoiding the hills.

Courtney Cox, a sophomore studying communication sciences and disorders, said she avoids the treacherous hike up Morton Hill by walking past Clippinger Laboratories to get to West Green. She said she uses the trick often, although it may not truly be considered a “shortcut."

“It’s not necessarily quicker, but it’s less shin splints,” she said.

Cox also said she saves a few minutes on her trips from West Green to Ping Center by walking through Grover Center.

Engineering students living on West Green have an easy walk to Stocker Center, which is also located on West, for most of their classes. But for those who need to travel to other parts of campus to reach their classes, the convenience of the escalators in Baker University Center help to make the journey a little easier.

“Baker for everything,” Cox said.

However, sometimes the escalators in Baker Center can get a little crowded. Metin Ozisik, a freshman studying integrated media, said he prefers to take the stairs or walk up Richland Avenue.

“When the escalators get crowded, it takes forever,” Ozisik said. “Normally I don’t go through Baker.”

Ozisik isn’t the one only who has noticed the huge amount of traffic on the escalators. Sean Thomas, a senior studying chemical engineering who works at the second floor information desk in Baker Center, said he estimates thousands of students utilize the Baker escalators every day.

“The amount of traffic through (Baker Center) is pretty incredible,” Thomas said.

For those students living on East Green, avoiding the many hills on campus is nearly impossible, but Clark Wooley, a sophomore studying journalism, said he doesn’t usually feel the need to avoid them.

“The only time I really try to avoid them is if it’s storming outside,” he said. “And then I’ll just use the elevator (in Robert Glidden Hall).”

The elevator in Glidden has been an escape for many students from making the trek up “Jeff Hill” on East Union Street.

Wooley said despite living among what many students consider the worst of the hills, he has had no trouble making it to class on time.

@alleeexxiiss

ae595714@ohio.edu