Ryan Luehrman, who now plays for OU, attempts to outrun his opponent from Toledo Central Catholic during Athens High School's State Championship Football game in 2014. (FILE)

Athens HS: Bulldogs prep for season opener.

Entering Friday's season opener against Warren Local High School, Athens coach Ryan Adams is focused more on mentality than physical ability.

“Intensity,” Adams said. “We’ve got to bring our ‘A’ game. We’ve got to play with a chip on our shoulder. That’s what I’m looking for.”

Adams first expressed his concern about his team’s competitive edge after last week’s scrimmage against Trimble.

Trimble rushed for over 100 yards in the first half and the Athens offense had two early turnovers.

“There was definitely some nerves and jitters,” Adams said. "There were a couple of times it seemed to me that there was a little bit of shock, which is concerning.”  

He attributed the uneasy style of play his team exhibited to the fact that it was the first time for some of his players playing varsity minutes at home in a game-like environment. 

Friday’s environment will be even more of a high pressure situation, but Adams is hopeful his team has gotten the nerves out of its system. 

“I think that’s something that a kid has to experience and grow from,” Adams said. “We’ve certainly had that show itself. So, hopefully that’s a sign that next week we won’t have those kinds of issues.” 

Players to Watch: 

Junior running back Tyler Roback: He is a mean, aggressive runner. His sturdy 5-foot-8, 180 lb. frame makes him tough for any player to bring down. He will be key Friday in the battle of two run-first offenses. 

Junior middle linebacker Jack Haseley: He is a purist’s middle linebacker. He’s one of those players that always ends up being around the action. He was second on the team in tackles last year as a sophomore and led the team in tackles in the scrimmage against Trimble. Haseley will be a key cog in slowing down the Warren rushing attack. 

@JAjimbojr

jw331813@ohio.edu