"The Blue House," is a rental property at 59 1/2 N. Court St. that has previously been loosely associated with the Ohio University chapter of the ACACIA fraternity. (EMMA HOWELLS | PHOTO EDITOR)

ABCs of Greek Life: Blue House on Court Street no longer occupied by members of ACACIA Fraternity

The house on Court Street that for years has been surrounded in controversy is now occupied by members of the Sigma Pi Fraternity .

Sigma Pi member Ross Griffin and six of his fraternity brothers are renting out the property at 59 N. Court St., previously known as “Blue House,” for this upcoming school year.

Although brothers of Sigma Pi live in the house, it is not officially affiliated the fraternity. This is due in large part to the many rumors surrounding the house. The property may very well have stayed vacant this school year if they had not decided to occupy the home.

Sigma Pi was founded at Ohio University on May 17, 1918, with the mission to “advance man’s quest for excellence,” which they still continue to follow today.

Griffin said he and his brothers want to represent the gentleman of Sigma Pi with an image that promotes community and kindness. They mainly chose the house because of its size and proximity to campus. The only thing he fears about living at 59 N. Court St. is being targeted for living at such a controversial place.

Even with the struggles of owning a house with such an rumored past, Griffin and his friends are very excited to take on the journey of overcoming the stereotypes of “Blue House” and also enjoying the experience of owning their own place for the first time.

The proprietors of the house have many plans in store for the house that represent the best of Sigma Pi.

They hope to completely reverse the stigma of the house and make it known for its excellent reputation and help interest future generations of Sigma Pi to exceed the standards set by past members.

Griffin said the owners of the house will focus their energy on protection and awareness of the people inside and outside the house. He hopes Blue House will become a safe place for everyone whether during parties or everyday activities.

In my own personal experience working and interacting with the gentlemen of Sigma Pi, I believe they really are committed to improving the image of “Blue House.” The men in the fraternity have so much respect for those around them. They are also so dedicated to their philanthropic efforts and overall kindness to others.

Erin Franczak is a sophomore studying Journalism with a focus in News and Information at Ohio University. Do you have any questions about rushing a fraternity or sorority? Email her at ef441614@ohio.edu