President Roderick McDavis and Sandra Anderson listen to a presentation by the College of Business during the Board of Trustees meeting on Thursday, January 21, 2016. The Board of Trustees voted to give President McDavis a $20,000 raise and a $100,000 bonus at their June 24 meeting. (ALEX DRIEHAUS | FILE)

OU Board of Trustees to discuss future of Park Place and building renovations

Ohio University’s Board of Trustees will meet Thursday at OU's Dublin campus to discuss the future of Park Place, renovations around campus and updates from community standards.  

In the board's first meeting of the 2016-17 academic year, trustees will go over the Comprehensive Master Plan 2016 recommendations to Park Place, which include making the street more pedestrian-oriented, improving pedestrian safety, expanding outdoor activities with student-centric spaces and partnering with the city of Athens to assess traffic flow. 

The planning for Park Place would take place throughout 2017 and 2018.

On Thursday, the board will vote on funding for various building upgrades around campus. Those projects would take place over the next several years.

For the East Green Building Based Hot Water Project, university administration is seeking approval for authorized expenditures of $250,000. The total cost of the project is $1.6 million. That will help increase the availability of hot water access for students to residence halls on East Green.  

In January, students living in Bryan, Jefferson, Voigt and Washington halls on East Green did not have hot water and some students had to take cold showers. Facilities management identified problems with booster pumps, the university's flow system and heat exchangers.

The board wants approval for authorized expenditures of $4.3 million for the Clippinger Hall renovation. The total cost of the project is $42.6 million. The first phase of the renovation could expand the building about 80,000 square feet

The Gamertsfelder Hall Lobby Renovations Project — with a total cost of $827,000 — is currently requesting $101,400. The upgrades include updating the lobby, lounge, staff office and restrooms.

The board is requesting $333,600 for heating and window upgrades to James Hall, which will cost $2 million in total. By replacing the existing heating system with a new system, there would be no need for window air conditioners. 

Over the summer, James Hall received a new kitchen and study space as well as upgrades to the bathrooms, plumbing and lobby. This academic year, James Hall will have the highest percent of student athletes of all residence halls.

For the Scott Quad Window Replacement Project, OU administration is seeking approval for the authorized expenditures of $102,750. The total cost of the project is $900,000.  

Also during the board meeting, Vice President for Student Affairs Jason Pina will give an update on OU’s Community Standards and how the 2015-16 academic year compared to the 2014-15 academic year.

Academic misconduct charges saw an increase during 2015-16, while controlled substance and drug violation charges saw a decrease between 2014-15 and 2015-16.

The Thursday meetings will be live-streamed at 10 a.m. and 3 p.m.

@megankhenry

mh573113@ohio.edu