Ohio football players enter the field before their game against Kent State on Nov. 10. 

Football: Quinton Maxwell Focused For No. 2 quarterback Role

Bucket hats were all the rage at Ohio’s practice Tuesday, as the high sat at 84 degrees.

Multiple coaches, including coach Frank Solich and offensive coordinator Tim Albin were spotted wearing the hats in an effort to give their heads shade from the sun’s rays.

Despite the sweltering temperatures, the Bobcats’ practice was relaxed, yet focused, with wide receivers Sebastian Smith and Jordan Reid cracking jokes before the start of practice.

Though players like Smith and Reid came out relaxed, redshirt freshman quarterback Quinton Maxwell looked fully focused on what will likely be his role for this season: backup quarterback.

Maxwell, the Bobcats’ assumed No. 2 quarterback, who will backup Greg Windham, isn’t a bad option.

In fact, Maxwell will be expected to be prepared to play live snaps in a game, especially considering the Bobcats are short two quarterbacks on their depth chart. Former quarterbacks J.D. Sprague and Conner Krizancic left the program last week, leaving the Bobcats with four quarterbacks (with Deeb Haber added in fall camp) on their roster.

“Quinton now knows, at worse, he’s the No. 2,” quarterbacks coach Scott Isphording said last week.

The backup quarterback job is Maxwell’s to lose. Along with Joey Duckworth and Haber, a freshman walk-on from Olentangy High School in Lewis Center, Ohio, Maxwell has looked the best out of the trio in practice.

He's the next best thing to replicating what Windham brings. 

Windham can occasionally escape the pocket for extra yards, but also has a big arm and can throw with velocity.

During practice, Maxwell has also shown the ability to run if the opportunity is given to him. He doesn’t have as big an arm as Windham, but he can throw a spiral with ease.

Ohio’s offense is tailored so that any quarterback it puts out can succeed. With Windham and Maxwell, the offense is more fast paced, as both quarterbacks quickly go through their progressions before making a split decision.

Duckworth and Haber, however, have generally run a slower offense; the offense has more of a game-managing feel with those quarterbacks.

Windham will be the starter for Ohio’s first game against Texas State, a home game on Sept. 3.

At worst, Maxwell is going to be the No. 2 quarterback on the depth chart when the Bobcats take the field for the first time this season.

And it's not the worst backup plan to have.

@CameronFields_

cf710614@ohio.edu