Nelson Dining Hall, May 11, 2016

What to do now that you're back in Athens

It’s that time of the summer when students are ready to go back to OU and are reminiscing about their favorite things to do.

After being away from Athens for months, students will have so many activities they’ll want do as soon as they step foot on the Athens bricks. Each Bobcat has their own activity they must accomplish before classes start.

1. Find your friends ASAP

It’s been close to four months since you last saw your OU friends. You’ll probably be texting them on the drive down and narrating how close you are to Athens.

“I’m still driving by cornfields.”

“Just passed the ‘Welcome to Athens’ sign that’s covered with bird poop.”

“By The Convo now.”

Some Bobcats will be looking to find their friends as soon as they set foot in Athens.

Via giphy.com

2. Go to any dining hall

Let’s be honest, as much as you hated the dining halls last spring, you’ve been craving certain food from them all summer. You’ll use your fresh meal swipes (or use an underclassman’s) to eat some Shively mac ‘n cheese, Nelson’s breakfast and Boyd rotisserie chicken.

Via giphy.com

3. Eat at your favorite uptown restaurant

Whether it’s Bagel Street Deli or Union Street Diner you’ve been missing all summer, you’ve probably been dreaming about your favorite Athens restaurant. Maybe after you’re all settled into your new dorm or house, you’ll celebrate with Thai Paradise or Casa Nueva.

Via giphy.com

4. Go to The Ridges

If you live somewhere without access to a lot of nature, you might want to hike back up to The Ridges to explore its creepy grounds. Many students like walking outside the old insane asylum and hunting for ghosts. But be warned: Entering certain buildings is considered criminal trespassing.

Via giphy.com

5. Drink

Athens has no shortage of bars Uptown, and you might be missing that special drink at your favorite one. Whether it’s Jackie O’s, The Pigskin or any other Court Street hangout, we’re sure some of you will make that your first stop (if you’re 21, of course).

Via giphy.com

6. Lay out on College Green

If it’s a warm, sunny day in Athens when you return, you might want to go hang out on the green for a while and soak up that Athens sun as the squirrels scamper around you. Better yet, bring out that ol’ hammock of yours and take a nap. Nothing beats chilling on a sun-drenched College Green.

Via giphy.com

7. Visit your favorite coffee shop

Athens’ large supply of Fair Trade coffee might be calling to you, and you’re dying to visit that relaxing atmosphere of your favorite coffee house. With any of the Athens classic coffee shops, you’re probably eager to sip that espresso or drink an iced latte.

Via giphy.com

8. Check to see where your classes are

If you’re ready to get back into the groove of learning and studying, maybe one of the first things you’ll do is find your classrooms. Some students like to see where they’re supposed to go ahead of time and even figure out the fastest way to get to their classes so they know they won’t be late.

Via giphy.com

9. Skateboard

If you’re a person who loves to skateboard, you’ve probably missed the fun hills Athens has to offer. As soon as you get back into town, you might ride around Uptown or skate on that stone bench on South Green.

Via giphy.com

10. Buy your overpriced books

Maybe before your parents leave, you bring them to the bookstores Uptown and ask nicely if they can buy some of your textbooks. You will want to be prepared for your classes, even though you might have to return your books when you realize your professor doesn’t actually use it.

Via giphy.com

@jess_hillyeah

jh240314@ohio.edu