Athens Uncorked co-owners and siblings Nate Hayes, left, and Kathy Blake, right, talk together in the dining area of Athens Uncorked, a new wine bar located on Station Street that opened in early December. Both expect business to pick up once students arrive back in Athens and also plan to serve coffee and Fluff pastries starting Monday, January 12, from 7:30 a.m. until 11 a.m. (EMILY HARGER | PHOTO EDITOR)

Weekender Briefs: Attend a sophisticated jazz night, a haunted walking tour and more this weekend

Check out the variety of events happening this weekend.

Jazz Night with Sean Parsons and Matt James

A collaborating jazz duo are preparing to sway the audience and wrap them up in a blanket of sweet jazz.

The event is hosted by Athens Uncorked on Saturday. The music will begin at 8 p.m.

The experienced duo consists of Matt James, professor of saxophone and jazz studies and associate director of the Ohio University School of Music, and Sean Parsons, a jazz pianist, composer and arranger. Parsons is also an assistant professor of jazz studies.

According to the Facebook event page, James released an album in 2014, Opening Lines, which is available on iTunes and CD Baby. Parsons holds a bachelor's degree in music composition from Illinois Wesleyan University, a master's degree in jazz studies from DePaul University, and a doctorate of musical arts from the University of Illinois.

If You Go:

What: Jazz Night with Sean Parsons and Matt James

Where: Athens Uncorked, 14 Station St.

When: 8 p.m., Saturday

Admission: Free

Moon Tunnel: Claire Eder, Hugh Martin and Kelly Sundberg

ARTS/West is inviting students to dive into a deep sea of literature to contemplate the magnificent coral reefs where the work of creative writers from Ohio University's graduate programs sit.

Moon Tunnel, sponsored by the English department at OU, is a reading series featuring the work of Claire Eder, Hugh Martin and Kelly Sundberg, according to the city of Athens’ website. The series will be held on five Friday nights throughout the academic year. The first part of the anthology is starting Friday at 7:30 p.m. in the basement room of ARTS/West.

If You Go:

What: Moon Tunnel: Claire Eder, Hugh Martin and Kelly Sundberg

Where: ARTS/West, 132 W. State St.

When: 7:30 p.m., Friday

Admission: Free

Athens Asylum Walking Tour

Explore the origins of the urban legends that have established Athens as one of the scariest places in the U.S.

George Eberts, an assistant professor in Ohio University's department of physics and astronomy, is the “local Asylum expert” who will host an outdoor walking tour of The Ridges, according to the event Facebook page.

The monthly tour is starting Saturday at 2 p.m. The short excursion costs $15 per person or $10 for history center members.

If You Go:

What: Athens Asylum Walking Tour

When: 2 p.m., Saturday

Where: The Ridges

Admission: $15 per person, or $10 for members

Israeli Shabbat

Devour delectables such as hummus, shawarma, olives and pita at a Shabbat service and dinner hosted by Hillel at OU.

The event is sponsored by Hillel at OU in partnership with Bobcats for Israel. The festivities start Friday at 6 p.m.

According to halakha, which is Jewish religious law, Shabbat is a weekly religious ritual in Judaism where followers observe a day of rest, according to chabad.org.

If You Go:

What: Israeli Shabbat

Where: Hillel at Ohio University, 21 Mill St.

When: 6 p.m., Friday

Admission: Free

'80s Night with DJ Barticus

Step on the dance floor dressed in polka dots and retro prints for an '80s night at Casa Nueva Restaurant and Cantina, 6 W. State St.

DJ Barticus will be fueling the Casa floor once again Friday at 10 p.m. The cover charge is $3 for 21 and older, $5 for 18 and older, and free for those wearing jumpsuits.

In an interview with The Post, Barticus, who focuses mainly on rap and dance music, expressed his love for jumpsuits and the consistency it offers as a uniform.

If You Go:

What: '80s Night with DJ Barticus

Where: Casa Nueva Restaurant and Cantina, 6 W. State St.

When: 10 p.m., Friday

Admission: $3 for 21 and older; $5 for eighteen and older; free for those wearing jumpsuits

@bharbi97

bh136715@ohio.edu