BedPost: How to make your first dating app hookup less awkward

We’ve all done it — swiping left and right and finding that seemingly perfect picture on the other end of the dating app universe.

But what do you after “It’s A Match!” pops up?

Dating apps such as Tinder, Bumble and PlentyOfFish can be a blessing and a curse. You find that person you’re attracted to and hope something comes out of it. You message each other and seem to have a connection, so naturally, the next step is to meet up (and usually, hook up).

And that’s the most terrifying thing about dating apps.

If you’ve ever been there before, you know how awkward it can be. The first hug when you meet, that awkward walk to their house/room/dorm, the useless small talk on their futon, and then, finally, after what feels like forever, you’re getting down and dirty.

But how can you get rid of that awkward stage?

Essentially, people on dating apps in college are not looking for love or long term relationships. They have one thing in mind: hooking up. So if both of you want to hook up, then why don’t you just say that from the get-go? Make it obvious early that you’re there for sex. Yeah, talking and getting to know the person might be nice, but you can always wait until after sex and have some quality pillow talk if you decide you’re into the person. But, if not, you can hook up, leave, ghost them and get on with your life.

If things in bed are sup-par, it may be hard to figure out how to get up and leave without being rude. Here’s the thing: BE REAL! This person has no part of your life other than as a partner, so just tell them that you need to go. Don’t feel bad about possibly hurting their feelings. Recognize that you may have more sexual experience than they do, and that’s OK. You need someone who is your equal. So, just get up, say thank you and leave.

On the off chance that the hookup does end with a bang and you want to make it a regular thing, it’s always a good idea to define the relationship as early as possible. Tell your “new boo” if you only want to hook up, or if you want something more (like possibly a relationship in the future). It will make the relationship easier and less awkward if you choose to break things off.

But, here’s something you should always remember about meeting up with someone from a dating app: You NEVER know who is on the other end. It’s always a good idea to share your location with your friends, make sure they know where you’re going and meet in a more public place. You never know who you’re going to meet. It could be the love of your life or an axe murderer. Be careful, always.

Dating apps can be a lot of fun if you use them the right way. Just remember to say what you want out of the ‘relationship,’ and say it early, and a great night could be right around the corner. 

Hannah Wintucky is a sophomore studying strategic communication and Spanish at Ohio University. What is the best way to keep a dating app hookup from getting awkward? Let Hannah know by emailing her at hw333514@ohio.edu.