Rylie Brown

Back to Bobcat Basics: Falling for fall accessories

We are approaching the time of year when the morning air is crisp and the sun goes down before you even get a chance to eat dinner. 

The cool breeze and the stiff leaves give me the itch to dig out my scarves, cardigans and combat boots because my favorite time of year is almost here. Fall clothes are always cozy and cute, but the same colors and bulky sweaters every day can get boring. This week, I want to list a few of my favorite accessories that can add to any fall outfit.

1. Unique Frames

Sunglasses are essential for those cool, sunny days. I'm obsessed with sunglasses and finding unique frames that no one else will have. A colorful frame or eye-catching lens can add the right amount of zest to any outfit. Look out for mauve, beige or brown frames that suit your face shape. These sunglasses will compliment fall tones perfectly.

2. Long necklaces

Adding jewelry to a bland ensemble can spice up your day, especially if it's colorful. Vibrant pendants dangling at the end of a silver or gold chain is my favorite piece to add to an outfit because it’s easy and doesn't require a lot of thought before I rush out the door. Also, many of these necklaces are affordable or you can make them yourself to personalize your style.

3. Scarves

It would not be fall without a thick scarf bundled around your neck. Scarves are a staple of any outfit. Whether you're wearing a thin fashion scarf for style or you pick up a big blanket scarf for warmth, you can't lose. My favorite scarves are flannel because it keeps you toasty while creating an effortless look that is reminiscent of classic Burberry style.

4. Puff ball key chains

I know it's not something you can wear, but these adorable balls of fur hang from your wallet, purse or backpack and keep your style fun. Puff balls come in a plethora of colors but I would stick with shades of maroon, gray and black this season. Fun fact: they can double as a stress ball when you're nervous about an exam. I know from experience.

Falling into a comfort zone and wearing a hoodie and sweatpants can be very tempting in the fall. Confining yourself to boring clothes doesn't have to be a reality. Take the time to pick out a few accessories and pair them with simple leggings, cardigans and combat boots for instant style. 

Fashion doesn't have to be hard, you just have to make it fun.

Rylie Brown is a sophomore studying journalism with a focus in news and information. What is your favorite fall accessory? Tweet her @RylieMarieBrown.