Sarah Vaughn

Let's Talk Life: To be your best, you have to feel your best

Making yourself feel empowered isn't always an easy process. Today, I am going to give you a recipe on how to make yourself feel like the most powerful person in the world.

Feeling comfortable in your physical appearance is important, but it's not the most important. There are many factors, more than I could ever state, that play into your self-confidence. So today I'll focus on the bare minimum to make you feel like you can take on the world everyday.

First, wake up with a happy thought and big stretch. Write it down or just think it through and stretch your body out. Starting your day tense or with the thoughts of yesterday's misfortunes isn't good for you in the slightest. Allow yourself to wake up in a peaceful manner and not in a rush because you are late for your 9 a.m.

Second, eat breakfast. A granola bar isn't good enough. I'm just as guilty of it as all of you, but you really need to spoil your system in the morning. Make yourself eggs or toast with some fruit — maybe even all three if you're feeling fancy. Just make enough to feel like your pallet is satisfied and your tummy won't be growling in an hour.

Third, look at your reflection with a smile. It is okay if you don't appreciate everything you see or if you do. Every time you see yourself, don't feel as though you need to pick apart every little flaw. Smile and tell yourself you love yourself and all the flaws you may have. You'll eventually start to believe it, and it will spiral into a much more positive attitude in general for you.

Fourth, dress for success. Don't just throw on some sweats and think you're ready to take on the day. You're not. Dress your body for the attitude you want to feel. If you want to feel like a sluggish hobo, dress the part. If you want to feel like someone who could kill any presentation at any time, dress for that. Quit slacking on your self standards.

Mix all four of those ingredients together, and you've got a foolproof recipe on how to fool the world into thinking everything is just fine. Seal the deal with a smile radiating around the room, and you can do anything. 

Go out and take on the world.

Sarah Vaughn is a junior studying education at Ohio University. What is your favorite way to make yourself feel empowered? Tweet your answers to Sarah using her Twitter handle @_suraaahhh.