Peyton White, poses for a portrait on the Ohio University Golf Course last season.

Men's Golf: Tournament featured tie for best round in Ohio history

Ohio came into this weekend’s tournament looking to show improvement from last week’s mediocre performance in the Joe Feaganes Marshall Invitational.

Expectations were exceeded. 

The Bobcats finished second at the EKU Intercollegiate Tournament at the University Club Golf Course in Arlington, Kentucky.

More noticeably, Ohio's second-round score (274) is tied for the best round in program history, which was set in 1961

The Bobcats stormed out early in Saturday’s first round play, quickly snatching second place in a field of 16 with a score of 282 (+2). 

They had no problem maintaining their pace through the rest of play, carding a 274 (-6) in the second round and a 286 (+6) in the third and final round to finish with a final score of 842 (+6) — a big improvement from their total of 875 (+35) earlier this week in West Virginia. 

The strong team performance can be attributed to big weekends from senior co-captain Ty Herriott, senior co-captain Peyton White, and sophomore Michael Kenney.

Herriott, fresh off of a career-best performance in the Marshall Invitational, sat in a tie for first place in the individual leaderboard after the first two rounds, shooting a 69 (-1) through the first round of 18 holes and a 65 (-5) in the second round. Herriott's second round total of 65 matched his career-best round score set in the Marshall Invitational this week. 

Herriott finished out the weekend with a 73 (+3) in the final round of play for an overall score of 207 (-3) to match his career-best tournament score, which was also set in the Marshall Invitational. Herriott made 39 total pars, which tied him for third among all players in the tournament.

White also registered a strong weekend, shooting a 73 (+3) in the first round and following up with a 68 (-2) in each of the final two rounds for an overall score of 209 (-1). White moved up 14 spots in the standings in the third round of play to seal Ohio's second place finish. White also finished play with 14 total birdies, the most of any player in the tournament.  

In his second career tournament, Kenney finished tied for 16th with a total score of 212 (+2). Kenny shot a career-best round of 67 (-3) in the first round and followed up the final two rounds with a 74 (+4) and 71 (+1), respectively. 

The Bobcats will have a bit of a break before they play next. They'll head out to Akron to play in the Firestone Invitational at the Firestone Country Club on Oct. 3-4.

@anthonyp_2

ap012215@ohio.edu