Post Haste: Football exceeds expectations; Pawpaw harvest less bountiful than years past

Today is Monday, Sept. 19, 2016. Here's what you need to know:

News from The Post

• The Pawpaw festival happened during the weekend, though an early-year frost pinched the supply of the native fruit. (The Post)
  • Athens City Council will continue to review a contract between the city and OUPD tonight. (The Post)

Good morning,

No one gave the Ohio Bobcats a chance going into Saturday’s game versus the 15th-ranked Tennessee Volunteers.

They entered the game as four-touchdown underdogs against a perennial college football powerhouse who is favored to win the SEC East. While OU didn’t squeak out the win, they came closer than expected — the Bobcats battled the Vols for a final score of 28-19.

Saturday’s game marked the first time since 2013 that OU squared off against a ranked opponent. 3 years ago, Bobcats were defeated by the then-9th ranked Louisville Cardinals.

With the loss, OU is now 0-27 all time vs. ranked opponents.

Interested in getting Post Haste sent directly to your email address each morning? Register here.

Weather

Partly cloudy with no precipitation. High of 82. (Courtesy of Scalia Lab)

Scores and Game Times

The volleyball team took home a win against Virginia Tech on the road during the weekend. The women’s golf team will head to a tournament in Pennsylvania today.

You might also want to know …

Jimmy Kimmel hosted the 68th Primetime Emmy Awards last night. (CNN)

Investigators are searching for suspects after a bombing in New York City injured dozens of people. (The New York Times)

For more global news, check out The New York Times' daily briefing.

jp351014@ohio.edu