Post Haste: Scripps Innovation Challenge kicks off; Graffiti wall issues

Here’s what you need to know for Wednesday, September 21, 2016:

News from The Post

• A day after "Justice 4 Tyre" was spray-painted around Athens, someone painted controversial messages and imagery on the graffiti walls near Bentley. (The Post)
  • Someone stole a sign from a parking lot used for the football game last Saturday. (The Post)

Good morning,

Interested in winning thousands of dollars? Well, if you figure out a solution to a problem in the Scripps Innovation Challenge, you could.

The Scripps Innovation Challenge’s kickoff and mingle event is tonight at 5:30 p.m. in Schoonover.

The event is a “university-wide student competition to create innovative solutions to real-world media and communication problems,” according to its website.

People interested in the challenge can tackle this year’s problems, which range from creating a diabetes awareness campaign to using geocoding to benefit a media outlet’s subscription-based membership. This is the fifth year of the Scripps Innovation Challenge.

Last year, Team Ubuntu took home $10,000 for its pitch of NewsRain, “a news app and website that target the media desert of the Somali refugee population in Columbus,” according to a previous Post report.

Interested in getting Post Haste sent directly to your email address each morning? Register here.

Athens Weather: With a high temperature of 87 degrees, it’s going to be sunny and hot. Like it has been every day. (Courtesy of Scalia Lab)

Scores and Game Times

The women’s golf team placed ninth at Ball State’s two-day Cardinal Classic. Hailey Hrynewich finished third overall. (Via Ohiobobcats.com)

You might also want to know …

“Brangelina” is no more. (Buzzfeed)

Donald Trump made a Skittles-to-Syrian refugee analogy that left a bad taste in a lot of people’s mouths. (The New York Times)

Spotify and Tinder have teamed up to set the mood with music on your dating profile. (TIME)

For more global news, sign up for The New York Times’ daily briefing.

@reb_barnes

rb605712@ohio.edu