Jordan Kelley

Get Involved: Making time for student organization involvement is vital for a healthy college experience

As we chug along into week three of Fall Semester, it’s easy to become so engulfed in classes that you start to miss out on some of the out-of-class experiences that surround us on Ohio University’s campus — and no, I’m not talking about the bar and party scene for which we have been known for in the past

Academics are certainly important and should remain a priority for students. It is what we are paying all of this tuition money to come here for, after all. 

Yet, the most important lessons I’ve learned have been from my involvement in student organizations.

While classes give us the knowledge we need to get by in our chosen career paths, student organizations and campus involvement are where we get some of our most marketable skills. 

Student Senate, the student organization I’ve dedicated much of my time to in my tenure at Ohio University, has taught me about what it means to be a leader and what kind of leader I am. This is where I learned the importance of working with a team to accomplish common goals, and it’s where I had my first real world exposure to how teams work in a more realistic setting than a group project. 

Most importantly, student organizations give us the chance to explore the things we’re interested in outside of our majors. From programming to advocacy, each project I’ve worked on has challenged me, helped me grow and taught me a new skill.

With over 500 student organizations, there is almost certainly one that fits the needs and passions of each student — and if there isn’t, it’s relatively easy to start one.

If you do choose to start your own organization, be sure to check out the opportunity for a New Organization Grant from SAC. Once you find the organization(s) that is (are) right for you, make sure that you really take advantage of the opportunities and experiences our university can offer you.

Jordan Kelley is a senior studying student development. Want to learn about starting your own student organization? Email him at jk771913@ohio.edu.