A man works to cover up "Justice 4 Tyre King" graffiti that appeared Monday morning. 

'Justice 4 Tyre King' painted across campus

Editors’ Note: This story has been updated to include additional quotes and information 

As Ohio University staff worked to wash the painted words “Justice 4 Tyre King” from university structures across campus, students debated the validity of both the graffiti and its message.

The Ohio University Police Department is investigating the graffiti, which officers have located on two sides of the Civil War monument on College Green and at Lindley Hall, Seigfred Hall, Ellis Hall, Bentley Hall, Alden Library and Howard Park, OUPD Lt. Tim Ryan said.

A Columbus Police Department officer shot and killed Tyre King, a 13-year-old black teenager, Wednesday night, according to CNN. Police said King was wanted for questioning in relation to an armed robbery. Before the officer killed him, police say he pulled a BB gun from his waistband.

Students took to social media in support and condemnation of the graffiti Monday morning.

OU College Republicans President David Parkhill said he disagreed with both the message and the location of the graffiti. He said the officer was justified in shooting King and added that it was disrespectful to graffiti the Civil War monument on College Green.

“I am one of the biggest proponents of free speech, but that’s just complete disrespect and completely uncalled for,” Parkhill said. “If they had put it on the free speech wall — hey, more power to them.”

Parkhill said the graffiti, in a way, did raise his awareness because he did not know about King prior to seeing the phrase painted across campus.

Ryan Powers, a senior studying philosophy and a member of OU’s branch of the International Socialist Organization, said he “stands in solidarity” with whoever painted the graffiti. He said the graffiti comes from a place of genuine anger because society offers no other way to exercise power.

“I empathize with the need to express anger with the status quo, and there’s a serious problem with police violence and racist policing, I would say, in the state of Ohio,” Powers said.

Although he supports whoever painted the graffiti, Powers said the International Socialist Organization was not involved. He added that the group focuses on collective social change not individual actions such as graffiti.

“To anyone who empathizes with that message and those actions, I would say our power is to organize together,” Ryan said. “That’s the only way we have the potential to change things.”

OUPD first responded to a report of “Justice 4 Tyre King” painted in black at the top of the steps near Baker Center at about 7 a.m. Monday morning.

The incidents are under investigation.

The OUPD report classifies the incident as vandalism. Vandalism is a felony of the fifth degree punishable by a fine of up to $2,500 dollars and up to 12 months in jail, according to the Ohio Revised Code.

@baileygallion

bg272614@ohio.edu