5 movies to check out this November

Witches and wizards will return to the big screen in November.

Yes, the highly anticipated film Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them is being released this month. No-Maj — the American equivalent of muggles — will be lining up in movie theaters to see the magical universe of the underground American witch and wizard society. The Harry Potter spin-off isn’t the only movie coming out this month — Disney will introduce a new princess while Marvel gives a different superhero some screen time. Mel Gibson returns to the director’s chair, and Woody Harrelson is put behind a teacher’s desk. Here are the must-see movies for the month of November:

Nov. 4: Doctor Strange — Benedict Cumberbatch stars as Dr. Stephen Strange, a neurosurgeon who ceases operating when he is involved in a car crash. After the crash, he finds a training facility in the mountains — very similar to Batman Begins — to hone his newly acquired superpowers. Doctor Strange is a sorcerer who can manipulate many things, such as time and inanimate objects, with his mind. At first glance, the trailer takes on characteristics of the Batman trilogy and Inception, both films directed by Christopher Nolan, who has no affiliation with Doctor Strange. 

Nov. 4: Hacksaw Ridge — World War II Army Medic Desmond T. Doss (Andrew Garfield) was the first conscientious objector to receive the Medal of Honor. Hacksaw Ridge follows Doss as he saves many people’s lives during the war. The film is directed Mel Gibson, who hasn’t been in the director’s chair since Apocalypto in 2006. With Oscar season coming up, Hacksaw Ridge might be a contender for some awards.

Nov. 18: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them — Fans of the Harry Potter series will be apparating to a nearby theater to watch this film. Eddie Redmayne plays Newt Scamander, a wizard zoologist of sorts, who accidentally releases the beasts of the wizarding world into New York City. He then sets out on a journey to capture the creatures, and he later writes a textbook that Harry and his friends read while attending Hogwarts.

Nov. 18: Edge of Seventeen — The film takes a look at what it is really like to be a teenager. It’s centered around one teenager, in particular, Nadine (Hailee Steinfeld) who has to deal with her popular brother and a budding crush on a guy in her grade. Nadine seeks wisdom from her teacher, Mr. Bruner, (Woody Harrelson) whose sarcastic nature adds a touch of humor. The film appears to take on The Perks of Being a Wallflower feel with a coming-of-age plotline.

Nov. 23: Moana — The main character is the 12th official Disney princess and the first of Polynesian descent. When Moana (Auli'i Cravalho) sets off on a voyage to save the island she lives on, the demi-god Maui (Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson) joins her on a quest to mythological places. The newest Disney Princess film is sure to score big at the box office as it appeal to people of all ages. 

@georgiadee35

gd497415@ohio.edu