Sophia Cristofoli plays defense during a game against Ball State at Pruitt Field on Sunday, September 25, 2016. Ohio beat Ball State 3-2 in overtime. (ALIE SKOWRONSKI | FOR THE POST)

Field Hockey: Ohio takes first MAC win in overtime

Three minutes into overtime, Amelia Milton was tripped by a Central Michigan defender and drew a corner for Ohio.  

Brittany Keen passed the ball to Milton, who passed it left to Rachel Kho. 

Kho fired a shot that Maria Russell deflected past the goalie for the game-winner, which gave Ohio a 4-3 win at Pruitt Field on Friday, the Bobcats' first MAC win of the season.

“We got the corner, we were like okay we are ending it now,” Russell said, “This is going in no matter what, like balls to the wall, we needed that goal.”

A two-goal lead for Ohio disappeared in the second half and forced Ohio (4-6, 1-0 Mid-American Conference) to score the goal in overtime to beat Central Michigan (1-9, 0-2).

The Bobcats opened the scoring early –– in the seventh minute Ohio got a corner, and after the ball was knocked around and Emma Eggleston found the ball and scored past the Central Michigan goalie.

24 minutes into the game Ohio got another corner, and Kho scored her first goal of the season off an assist from Milton to put Ohio back up 2-1.

In her second consecutive start in goal Alex Pennington was challenged by the Chippewas offense all night. She made eight saves.

The Chippewas offense played their best game of the season statistically, as they scored three goals. They came into the game with six goals this season.

“When you have a game won, the last five minutes should just be a case of killing it off… some of the decision making lead to them having the opportunities to come back,” coach Neil Macmillan said.

After one game in the MAC, Ohio sits tied for first place with Kent State (6-5, 2-0-0) and Miami (6-5, 2-0-0).

Ohio will host Missouri State (1-7, 0-1-0) at Pruitt Field on Oct. 7.

@TREricWalker

ew399115@ohio.edu