Ohio's Papi White reaches for the ball during a game against Eastern Michigan at Peden Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

Football: Ohio falls 27-20 to Eastern Michigan

It started ugly for Ohio. It didn't end any prettier.

The Bobcats, stout on defense in the first half, allowed 24 second half points to fall to Eastern Michigan 27-20 at Peden Stadium. 

The defense allowed scores by the Eagles (5-2, 2-1 Mid-American Conference) on every second half possession, starting with 13 play, 69-yard drive to begin the half. The Bobcats (4-3, 2-1) led only once, for three minutes and 34 seconds in the beginning of the second half. 

The Eagles passing attack torched the Bobcats secondary to a tune of 347 yards passing and all three of the Eagles touchdowns.

Ohio's offense picked up the scoring in the second half, but it wasn't enough in the end. After a tie game at halftime, both teams turned the game into an offensive shootout of sorts. Ohio scored on three of its four second half possessions.

Quinton Maxwell took over as starting quarterback in place of Greg Windham in the second quarter, and went 17-26 for 188 yards, one touchdown and one interception. Windham didn't post unimpressive numbers, but it was clear that at least on this day, Maxwell ran the offense with more efficiency. 

He found wideout Sebastian Smith for a large portion of the afternoon, as Smith went eight catches for 123 yards.

Dorian Brown returned for the Bobcats in the backfield and led the team with 14 carries for 94 yards. He also scored one rushing touchdown. 

The Bobcats will face MAC East opponent Kent State next weekend for the team's last Saturday game of the year.

@Andrew_Gillis70

ag079513@ohio.edu