Ohio University men's golf captains Ty Herriott, left, and Peyton White, right, both seniors, pose for a portrait at the Ohio University Driving Range on West State Street on Sept. 21.

Men's Golf: Ohio finishes ninth in Firestone Invitational

After completing one of the best finishes in program history, the Bobcats were looking to ride on the momentum they built from two weeks ago.

That proved to be difficult this week, as Ohio finished in ninth place at the Firestone Invitational with an overall score of 874 (+10). 

Senior co-captain Peyton White turned in a consistent performance, shooting a 72 (E) through each of the first two rounds. White finished with a 71 (-1) in the final round, moving up 12 spots on the leaderboard in the process to finish in a tie for 17th and finish with a solid overall score of 215 (-1). 

Senior co-captain Ty Herriott shot a 70 (-2) in the first round and ended with a 73 (+1) in the second and third round each to finish with an overall score of 216 (E) to place in a tie for 20th.

The rest of team struggled to stay in the front half of the leaderboard. Sophomore Michael Kenney finished tied for 72nd, and sophomore Ben Sattler and junior Brady Bohl each finished tied for 53rd with overall scores of 225 (+9). Sattler was able to move up 18 spots in the final round of play with a score of 72 (E). 

The tournament was a step back from the second-place team performance registered two weeks ago in the EKU Intercollegiate. Outstanding individual efforts from Herriott and White, as well as a career-best round from Kenney, kept the Bobcats at the top of the standings for the entirety of the tournament.

With momentum on their side, Ohio was looking to improve upon its fourth place finish in last year's Firestone Invitational and further show that this year's team will be one to beat, but it looks like there is still some work to do to ensure that the upcoming 2017 spring season will a successful one.

The Bobcats will try to end the fall season on a good note when they travel down to Estero, Florida to play in the Homewood/Hilton Garden Airport and FGCU Classic on Oct. 24 to 25 at the Old Corkscrew Golf Club. 

@anthonyp_2

ap012215@ohio.edu