Ohio University men's golf captains Peyton White, left, and Ty Herriott, right, both seniors, pose for a portrait at the Ohio University Driving Range on West State Street on Sept. 21.

Men's Golf: Ohio finishes fall season, ties for sixth

Going into the final tournament of the fall season, the Bobcats were looking to build momentum toward what should be an intriguing spring season and prove they can finish strong in the final parts of tournament play.

They're gained some momentum, but the team still has to prove it can end a tournament on a high note.

Ohio finished tied for sixth place in the Homewood Hilton Airport Invitational in Estero, Florida, with an overall score of 918 (+54). The match was held at the Jack Nicklaus-designed Old Golf Club. 

The Bobcats struggled early, posting a 316 (+28) and sitting in ninth place after the first round. But they rebounded with a 292 (+4) in the second round to move up three spots into sixth. 

In the final round, Ohio couldn't keep its pace and carded a 310 (+22).

Senior co-captains Peyton White and Ty Herriott each had strong individual showings and further cemented their roles as the team's best golfers.

White shot an overall score of 221 (+5) and finish tied for fourth. After a shaky first round score of 78 (+6), he notched a top-five finish with scores of 71 (-1) and 72 (E) in the second and third rounds respectively.

Herriott flirted with the top overall spot through the first two rounds of play by following up on a first round score of 76 (+4), with a 69 (-3) in the second. Herriott couldn't pull through in the final round, however, and finished with a score of 78 (+6) to total 223 (+7) and end the tournament tied for ninth.

Junior Brady Bohl shot a 238 (+22) to finish tied for 52nd overall, while sophomore Michael Kenney carded a 242 (+26) to finish tied for 65th. Sophomore Ben Sattler was disqualified from play for signing the scorecard incorrectly.

With the conclusion of the fall season, the Bobcats will have a three-month break before the 2017 spring season begins. 

Action starts up again with Mid-American Conference Match Play, which begins Feb. 13 and 14 at the Lake Jovita Golf and Country Club in Dade City, Florida.

@anthonyp_2

ap012215@ohio.edu