Provided via Wikimedia Commons

Uptown Eats: What to buy at the grocery store

When junior year comes along and reliance on dining hall food comes to an abrupt halt, many students are left feeling abandoned and hungry. If cooking isn’t your thing and you resort to cereal for every meal, then maybe I can be of some assistance.

Here are some must-have items on your grocery list and some simple things that even you (yes, you) can make at home.

Eggs: Probably the most versatile ingredient in the cooking game. Hard boil it. Make a breakfast sandwich. Put it in your ramen like Kylie Jenner. Eggs are always a staple to have in the fridge and make for a quick and easy meal.

Rice: You may be saying to yourself, “I have no idea how to cook rice.” Fear not, that’s what the internet is for! Rice is always good to keep around the house for a quick meal and in case of any water damage emergencies. Add some canned beans and corn and top it off with cheese and Sriracha for a homemade burrito bowl.

Bread: This one just seems like a no brainer. Bread is the king of carbs. Make a grilled cheese. Make a turkey sandwich. Make a PB&J. Whatever you need, bread is there for you.

Fruit: Not only is fruit good for you, but if you freeze it and blend it up it makes for an easy smoothie. If you don’t have a blender, fruit is always a good choice for an on-the-go snack. It also provides the perfect excuse to take an extra big scoop out of the peanut butter jar.

Potatoes: Spuds are some of the most underestimated grocery list items. Whether you want it baked, microwaved, fried, whatever, potatoes can provide starchy goodness to any meal. Cube it up for hash browns. Cut them into spears and pop them in the oven for wedge fries. Pop them into the microwave for a quicker way to make a baked potato. So simple, yet so delicious.

Salsa: Yes, I know you can’t just simply scoop out salsa and make it a meal — well, maybe you can — but salsa provides the segway to a bunch of possibilities. Put it in your eggs for a southwestern-style breakfast. Buy chips and make it a midday snack. Top off your burrito bowl with it. Add it to a quesadilla or grilled cheese for extra flavor and goodness.

Alright, I got you started. Now go to the supermarket with confidence and bring back the ingredients you need for a week of happiness. 

rg599913@ohio.edu