Women's golfer Hailey Hyrnewich of Muskegon, Michigan, poses for a portrait. (FILE)

Women's Golf: Hyrnewich led the Bobcats to a fifth place finish

Although the Bobcats have bounced around in the top 10 spots on the board for each tournament, the team was able to solidify their ranking and grab a fifth place spot Tuesday.

Senior Hailey Hrynewich led the team to its fifth place finish while personally tying for third place overall in the tournament. 

She shot a first round of 76 on Monday, leaving her with 6-over at the end of the first day, given that this tournament was only a two-round tournament. Par was a 70. Hrynewich shot a 72 (+2) in the second round for a total score of 148 (+8), putting her in a third-place tie with Youngstown State University’s Reva Morris.

As a whole, Ohio shot a first round of 313 (+33) and a second round of 307 (+27), which placed the team with a score of 620 (+60). 

Findlay won this year’s Dayton Fall Invitational with a team score of 589 (+29), followed by Oakland in second place with a score of 602 (+42) and Youngstown State in third place with a team score of 616 (+56).

The second place spot on the Bobcats went to junior Lily Pendy again this week. While Pendy’s ranking on the team has varied, she grabbed the second place spot just two weeks ago for Ohio at the Kzoo Classic. 

She finished out her first round in the high-70s Monday with a score of 78 (+8). She brought her score down to the mid-70s Tuesday for a second round score of 75 (+5). This left Pendy tied for 14th place along with Bowling Green’s Erin Fahey with a score of 153 (+13).

Sophomore Nicole Smiley finished in a three-way tie with Emily Connors of Dayton and Madison Chesnutt of Fort Wayne for 28th place. All three women finished the invitational Tuesday with a total score of 158 (+18).

Rounding out the fourth and fifth place spots for the Bobcats were freshmen Marissa Balish and Jessica McRae. Balish finished in a five-way tie for 43rd place with a total tournament score of 161 (+21). McRae finished in a four-way tie for 69th place with an overall score of 171 (+31).

Ohio will be wrapping up its fall season as the team travels to Silver Lake, Ohio, on Oct. 24 for the 2016 Fall Preview.

@thebestjess_21

jj940914@ohio.edu