Jaaron Simmons looks for an open teammate during the Ohio's game against Northern Illinois University on Feb. 6 at The Convo. The Bobcats won the game 80-69. (FILE)

Men's Basketball: The 2016-17 season preview

Hoops season has arrived, and for Ohio, it looks promising.

In back-to-back weekends, Ohio has dismantled its opponents.

One was Ohio State in a closed scrimmage, according to The Columbus Dispatch; the other was Rio Grande last weekend in The Convo. The Bobcats won easily, 87-56.

With the season tipping off Nov. 12 against Southern in The Convo, The Post dissects the Ohio men’s basketball roster and the players who will have an impact in 2016-17.

Backcourt: 

Jaaron Simmons, Jordan Dartis, Gavin Block and Rodney Culver

Ohio's backcourt may be its best component.

Simmons is one of the best guards — no, scratch that: he is the best — in the Mid-American Conference.

Throughout the offseason, third-year coach coach Saul Phillips mentioned on multiple occasions how special Simmons can be.

Simmons creates and executes plays well, which in turn keeps the offense flowing around him. Considering he broke the single-season assist record his first year in Athens, year two should be even more productive. While assist numbers might not climb, Ohio’s efficiency with Simmons as the point guard will flourish.  

Dartis has one of the best shots in the conference. He actually doesn’t shoot enough, Phillips said.

Averaging just under 10 points per game last season, his points production should improve this season thanks to bulking up his frame.

Dartis will start as the shooting guard, but that’s not a knock on his ability to bring the offense up the court. He’s the backup to Simmons entering the season.

Block brings sharp passing and spacing to the Bobcats. He started at the three spot Saturday, and Phillips said Block will “probably” be an every night starter this year.

Finally, Culver brings a component that was lacking last year: defense.

Phillips said Culver will play big minutes this year (he played 20-plus Saturday) and is predicted to be Ohio’s No. 1 perimeter defender.

“Rodney has done about as good of a job (guarding) Jaaron as about anyone in this program ever has,” Phillips said earlier this preseason.

Frontcourt: 

Antonio Campbell, Doug Taylor, Kenny Kaminski, Jason Carter and Ellis Dozier

Campbell is Ohio’s main big man. That’s already evident.

Against Rio Grande, he tallied 17 points and 12 rebounds in just 20 minutes. He had 11 points in the first five minutes alone.

Campbell is quick and light on his feet. He lost 20 pounds in the offseason.

For as much as a dominating presence he’ll provide in the front court, he can also step outside and shoot along the perimeter. He shot 2-of-4 from 3-point attempts Saturday.

He’s multifaceted, which led to Phillips saying after the Rio win that he wants his big man down low more.

That won’t be a problem this season.

Campbell is the reigning MAC Player of the Year and has set his sights on the NBA — he declared for the draft last spring but returned to Ohio. He also has patented a sweet right-hook shot with his back to the basket.

Taylor will be Campbell’s backup at the five spot. The two worked out together this offseason, with Taylor trimming seven pounds over the summer.

This spot, to no surprise, remains Campbell’s.

The four spot on the floor, which Kaminski currently starts at, will mostly be split between Kaminski and freshman Carter.

Carter, along with Culver, was one of the first options Phillips used against Rio Grande. He made an impact immediately, scoring 15 points and utilizing a variety of efficient up-and-under and jab steps in the post.

Kaminski said Carter has plenty of upside. Sam Frayer said he could be a MAC Player of the Year eventually.

“(Carter) is extremely solid,” Kaminski said. “Both him and (Rodney Culver) are both very solid in what they do.”

It’s still in question how Ellis Dozier will pan out, but he’s long enough to be a stretch four in the future. He’s a solid prospect for the Bobcats and still fine-tuning his shooting mechanics.

Role players: 

Khari Harley, Mike Laster, Rodney Culver, Doug Taylor and Jason Carter

Ohio has a strong depth from the four to nine spots.

In Culver, Carter, Taylor, Harley and Laster, Phillips has a variety of players to work his rotation this winter — a sometimes tricky tight-rope to walk.

"I like the fact for the first time since I have been here, I’m trying to figure out how I can get guys more minutes,” Phillips said.

Phillips experimented with multiple lineups Saturday, as Ohio’s depth has improved from the previous year.

Last year, the Bobcats used a mostly seven-man rotation. Now, Phillips can tinker with up to 10 players, even if that means adjusting lineups so Simmons and Campbell can rest during the Bobcats’ non-conference schedule.

Redshirts: 

James Gollon and Wadly Mompremier

Phillips previously said that Mompremier and Gollon will look to redshirt this season.

For Gollon, the Stevens Point, Wisconsin native, had surgery on his shoulder and hip during the offseason, making him eligible for a redshirt season.

With Gollon out for the year, he’s left a void for Ohio’s backup point guard position. Dartis, Culver and Harley played a combined 52 minutes Saturday, with each receiving the chance to run the point while Simmons rested.

In terms of Mompremier, Phillips has yet to officially say whether Mompremier will redshirt his final season in Ohio, but most indications point to yes.

Mompremier, who’s participated in preseason practices, did not make an appearance Saturday. That’s telling, as every active Ohio player played in Saturday’s exhibition.

In a case of a redshirt season, Mompremier will look to become a •graduate transfer pending graduation this spring.

@charliehatch_

gh181212@ohio.edu 

@Lukeoroark

Lr514812@ohio.edu