Ex Post Facto: New observatory coming; students organized anti-Trump protest

A new addition coming to The Ridges in spring 2017 highlights a week of stories featuring a protest of Donald Trump’s election and the indictment of a former Ohio University student. Here is more information on those stories and others from the week:

Astronomy observatory coming to The Ridges

new astronomy observatory is being constructed at The Ridges and is expected to open May 2017.

The project’s total budget is $320,000 and will be good investment of the university’s money, Joe Shields, vice president for Research and Creative Activity, said.

“This is a long-term investment that will benefit students and the community for decades to come,” Shields, a physics and astronomy professor, said in an email. “Astronomy is unique in its ability to inspire people of all ages in thinking about our place in the universe. The observatory will significantly increase the opportunities for students and community members to directly connect with the cosmos.”

Plastic bag use discussed at City Council meeting

City Council members weighed a solution during Monday’s meeting to prevent the use of non-reusable plastic bags.

Councilwoman Jennifer Cochran, D-At Large, proposed an idea to encourage consumers to recycle single-use plastic bags and incentivize the use of reusable bags.

“Right now it’s about finding a middle ground so people are encouraged to recycle and divert waste from landfills,” Cochran said.

It was Cochran’s second proposal to combat single-use plastic bags. In the summer, she received criticism for a proposal to add a 10-cent charge to consumers using the bags. The issue was tabled a few weeks later.

Council members also announced that the money to build the city pool has been fully acquired, and it will be deposited into a pool fund on Thursday.

Construction on the pool is expected to begin in August.

Former Ohio University student indicted for rape

An Athens County Grand Jury indicted Cameron Wilson, a 23-year-old resident of Austin, Texas, and a former OU student, on charges including rape.

Wilson has been charged with sexually assaulting an OU student in January, according to a news release from Athens County Prosecutor Keller Blackburn.

The grand jury indicted Wilson on seven total charges, including rape, sexual battery, tampering with evidence, escape and three drug charges.

Demonstrators gather to protest President-Elect Trump

On Sunday evening, demonstrators gathered outside the Athens County Courthouse to protest the election of Donald Trump.

Members from the International Socialist Organization, the Multicultural Activists Coalition, F--kRapeCulture and the Hispanic Latino Student Union were present at the event, among dozens of other people.

The protesters marched through Athens and OU’s campus shouting chants, including “racist, sexist, anti-gay,” and “f--k Donald Trump.”

An estimated 300 people attended the rally, Tyler Barton, an OU alumnus and ISO adviser, said.

@Heeeeeres_Jonny

jp351014@ohio.edu