Halle Weber is a freshman studying journalism with a focus in news and information at Ohio University.

On a High Note: Black Violin — fiddles with a twist

I arrived at the Templeton Blackburn Auditorium and took my seat in an entire row of people ages 60 and up. I shifted uncomfortably in my Cavs jersey and Converse, and played with my phone, as millennials do, but when the lights went down and a DJ took the turn tables, they were the ones who looked uncomfortable.

Black Violin consists of duo Wil B and Kev Marcus, accompanied by a drummer and a DJ, spinning mashups of pop hits and classical pieces. The two men, who met in high school orchestra class 20 years ago, told us how the idea for their band came about. They would play Mozart in class and Jay-Z on the way to class and wondered why the two worlds couldn’t be combined. It’s tough not to admire B and Marcus’ drive to carry out their dream of playing classical pieces in “backwards caps and Jordan’s.”

Marcus and B went on to tell us you can achieve whatever you want to; you simply have to find a new way of doing things. The two rule-breakers have performed for President Obama and joined Alicia Keys and Kanye West on stage. As huge advocates for hard work, this was their 103rd show of the year. The men firmly believe they got to where they are today by believing in an innovative vision that so many others doubted.

The non-stop show lasted about an hour. Some highlights were when B plucked his violin, singing a beautiful mash-up of Ed Sheeran’s “Thinking Out Loud” and Marvin Gaye’s “Let’s Get It On,” when Marcus played a classical solo and when the duo showcased their creativity with an improv session.

My revelation came about when the woman sitting next to me pointed at the DJ and asked, “Is he just spinning records? What do you call that kind of musician?”

Black Violin found a way to bridge the generation gap, something that only the greats like The Beatles and The Stones have truly pulled off. The older generation eventually adapted to the hip-hop dance-club feel, and the kids found an appreciation for classical pieces. Everyone was dancing and smiling. I am always intrigued by how art affects people, but this was something new.

I believe seeing Black Violin is a culturally rich experience and shouldn’t be missed. It wasn’t a typical show; the crowd wasn’t of a common demographic, and there was no opening act. It was the most unique show I have ever seen, and I think there is something to be said for anyone that encourages people to rethink their pre-conceived notions.

One of my favorite lyrics of all time, from “Girlfriend is Better” by the Talking Heads, is “stop making sense.” We should all go through life defying what is expected of us and doing things how we want to do them. 

Nothing about Black Violin makes sense, and that’s what makes them special.

Halle Weber is a freshman studying journalism with a focus in news and information at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. How do you feel about Back Violin? Let Halle know by emailing or tweeting her at
hw422715@ohio.edu or @HalleWeber13, respectively.