Erin Franczak

ABCs of Greek Life: Derby Days event raised money for cancer treatment

Last week, Sigma Chi sponsored its second annual Derby Days event to raise money for the Huntsman Foundation. Those gentlemen worked very hard in preparation and during this event to help it go off without a hitch, and it did. 

“The Huntsman Cancer Institute is dedicated to finding the causes of cancer, developing new and better treatments, and preventing people from ever developing cancer. Huntsman founded HCI to focus on understanding cancer from its very beginnings and to translate this knowledge into safer and more effective treatments. HCI was chosen as Sigma Chi's preferred philanthropy because many Sigs and their families have been directly affected by cancer, the second-leading cause of death in the United States," according to the Official website of Sigma Chi.

The goal of the week was to win as many points as possible. All of the events were focused on awareness and raising money in a fun and creative way. The week began with an incredible speaker. I heard from many who attended that some of the audience was moved to tears.

The main event of the second day was a Buffalo Wild Wings fundraiser. It was a great reason to go out and order some wings or, my personal favorite, mozzarella sticks. Derby Coins (an event similar to "Penny Wars") had begun that day as well. The second day was also the kick-off for Selfie with a Sig, one of their weeklong events. This event was great because it got more than just the teams participating. Members of Sigma Chi sat at tables in front of Alumni Gate and Baker Center to promote their philanthropy event to the student body. This was one of my favorites. Not only did you get to help a good cause, but it was also a fun way to meet some really cool people.

There was also a Derby Days banner contest. These flags were absolutely amazing and really got the point across of what Derby Days is about. Each team then took a picture with their flags and whoever received the most retweets won. The cool thing about this challenge was how many people saw it and retweeted it from all over.

The third day held two more awesome events. There was a DP Dough fundraiser, which gave 10 percent of the money made by those participating in the event that night to the Huntsman Foundation and the Derby Dash. They also held the Derby Dash, an event in which gentleman of Sigma Chi wore white shirts and the teams had to sign as many as they could in the time offered.

The last two days focused on Siglympics and one final food fundraiser at Insomnia Cookies.

Overall it was a fun week and I can’t wait to do it again next year.

Erin Franczak is a sophomore studying journalism with a focus in news and information at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. What kind of philanthropy events would you like to attend? Let Erin know by emailing her at ef441614@ohio.edu.