Ohio University's Rodney Culver drives to the basket during a home game against Sam Houston State at the Convocation Center on November 14, 2016. Ohio University defeated Sam Houston 96-75. "MICHAEL JOHNSON | FOR THE POST"

Basketball: Bobcats pummel Bearkats 96-75

Midway through the second half, Jaaron Simmons broke through a screen, leaped over the defender, threw a bullet to the low post and watched Antonio Campbell calmly finish the layup.

The maneuver was as graceful as it was authoritative, and Monday night, Ohio pummeled Sam Houston State 96-75 in The Convo.

The bloodletting started instantly.

By the first media timeout, the Bobcats had a 17-9 lead. Nine minutes in, the lead was 28-11. Against an opponent expected to win its conference, the Southland, the Bobcats controlled the lead and the entire matchup en route to their 2-0 record.

The unexpected lead from the start came from unexpected suspects, too. 

At halftime, Ohio led 45-30. To that point, Campbell and Simmons had combined for nine points. Additionally, the bench had only scored two baskets.

The other starters — Jordan Dartis, Gavin Block and Kenny Kaminski — had 12, 11 and nine, respectively. Also, the three also made at least three 3-pointers in the half, with Kaminski and Block each going 3-for-3.

It was the start coach Saul Phillips wanted to see, especially after a rusty win Saturday against Southern in the season opener.

Within the first five minutes of the second half, Ohio had already layered another 20 points onto a piling lead.

Other than Drew Crabtree and Sam Frayer, every Bobcat who logged a minute scored. Campbell finished with 20 points and nine rebounds; Simmons recorded six points and nine assists.

Both Kaminski and Dartis finished with 17 points, while Block had 11.

The next game for Ohio will be Friday night at Georgia Tech. Tip off is set for 8 p.m.

@charliehatch_

gh181212@ohio.edu