Ohio forward Jasmine Weatherspoon looks to pass around Kent State guard Larissa Lurken during a game on Feb. 24. Along with Yamonie Jenkins and Quiera Lampkins, Weatherspoon is one of three seniors who are looking to lead the team back to the NCAA Tournament. (FILE) 

Ohio-UT Martin by the numbers: Extremely favorable matchup for the Bobcats

Following a convincing win over High Point to start the season, Ohio will welcome another favorable matchup to Athens for the home opener for an 11 a.m. tipoff. 

The University of Tennessee-Martin Skyhawks will enter Friday’s game either 1-2 or 0-3 depending on Wednesday’s game against Western Carolina. The first two Skyhawk losses came against No. 5 Louisville and North Carolina A&T, but it’s the way UT Martin has been losing that gives Ohio a distinct advantage.

The Skyhawks are averaging 27 turnovers per game, which contributes to their 329th ranking in the turnover margin out of 339 Division I teams. Ohio, the defending Mid-American Conference turnover margin leader, will inflict misery on UT Martin if that carelessness continues.

The only negative number from Ohio’s opening day win was in rebounding. Despite winning by 28 points, Ohio was out-rebounded by three against High Point.

The Skyhawks, however, have rebounded at nearly the exact same rate as Ohio in their two losses. Both teams have rebounded about 61 percent of their opponents' misses so far, which isn’t good, but it’s a fair fight on paper.

For once, however, the Bobcats are not out-matched with size. UT Martin has played five players 5-foot-10 or taller over ten minutes per game while Ohio played six on Sunday.

Coach Bob Boldon said last week that similar to High Point, UT Martin will try multiple defensive schemes against Ohio. But the Bobcats roasted everything High Point tried, and UT Martin’s defense has been cause for concern.

The Skyhawks rank 303rd in 3-point field goal percentage defense and have allowed opponents to shoot 42.1 percent thus far. That is a concerning number for any matchup, but like the Skyhawks’ turnover problems, their defense of the 3-point line plays right into the hands of Ohio.

More than half (50.5 percent) of all Ohio field goal attempts last season came from 3-point range, including having made 31 percent of their threes. Sunday, 25 of the Bobcats' 55 field goal attempts were 3-pointers. They made 11 of them.

UT Martin’s ability to stop an Ohio long range barrage will begin and end with the Skyhawks' ability to stop penetration. Ohio's attack last week usually began with Yamonie Jenkins or Taylor Agler driving inside which forced the defense to either help and give up an open three, or give up a layup.

If UT Martin doesn’t reverse its early season tendencies, The Convo will be a fun place for Ohio fans to be Friday morning. 

@JAjimbojr

jw331813@ohio.edu