From The Editor's Desk: Help us find our ‘Post Picks’ for the final issue

As The Post’s first semester as a print weekly news product (with a new website!) comes to a close, our staff wanted to find a more innovative way to create a final print product that would be primarily based on reader feedback, and would be useful on newsstands while our staff is away on winter break.

So, our final issue of the semester, out Dec. 1, will be devoted to “Post Picks.” This is the first year our staff is trying an edition such as this one, so we hope to solicit help from our readers in finding OU students, faculty members, Athens residents — or even Athens establishments — that embody a spirit bold or passionate enough to make them worthy of a profile. Because Athens is teeming with such people, that might be a difficult task, but our reporters are sure it will be a fun one. As soon as the votes are tallied, reporters will get to work contacting those who have been nominated for a profile and photograph.

To solicit advice on who or what The Post should “pick,” I created a Google survey earlier this week that we have been promoting on social media. Because the responses have been so interesting, I am extending the deadline to Nov. 18 at midnight. If you have any ideas as to who you’d like to see voted in for categories such as “the place, person or thing OU students couldn’t imagine Athens without” or “best Athens love story,” fill out the survey. There is also a write-in category if our readers think we’re not being broad enough in our profile categories, and our reporters are excited to see what or who readers choose.

There will still be “regular” content in that week’s issue, which will likely be similarly devoted to holiday coverage, but we thought it would be nice to profile those who are doing some good in the community and on campus. If there is going to be an issue of The Post to remind you of our staff’s commitment to Athens and OU while we’re away, we think it will be this one.

If you have any questions or ideas for “Post Picks” that cannot be mentioned in the survey, don’t hesitate to email or stop by our newsroom in Baker 325. This is an issue we look forward to making in collaboration with our devoted readership.

Emma Ockerman is a senior studying journalism and editor-in-chief of The Post. Have an idea for Post Picks? Email her at eo300813@ohio.edu or tweet her @eockeman.