Ohio wide receiver Sebastian Smith attempts to run through Western Michigan's defense during a game on Saturday, October 17, 2015. (LAUREN BACHO | FILE)

Football: Ohio offense will have to break through against toughest team on schedule

The matchup of the Friday game, or at least the one everyone will watch, will be the Ohio defense against the Western Michigan offense.

With a likely future first-round pick in the Broncos wide receiving corps, all eyes will be on the Ohio secondary to see if it can contain wide receiver Corey Davis and quarterback Zach Terrell.

But the matchup that carries as much, if not more, importance for Friday's Mid-American Conference Championship game will be how the Bobcats' offense matches up with the Broncos' stingy defense.

Western Michigan ranks 32nd in yards allowed per game at 362 — just one spot behind and two yards more than Ohio allows. The Broncos rank 31st and 55th in passing and rushing yards allowed, respectively.

Western Michigan is also No. 16 in the country — and highest in the MAC — in points allowed with 19.2 allowed per game. That's coming off of having allowed 35 points to Toledo, too.

Just like Terrell and Davis, the Broncos defense has two names that should be in Ohio Coach Frank Solich's mind all week: defensive back Darius Phillips and defensive end Keion Adams.

Phillips leads the NCAA in interception return yards on just four interceptions, which ties him for the MAC lead in interceptions. Adams leads the MAC in tackles for loss with 17.

Ohio's offense will have to be aware where Phillips and Adams are at every snap. If quarterback Quinton Maxwell or the offensive line misses a pre-snap read on where either of those two are, the resulting play could end in disaster.

It will be up to the offense to keep the ball, too, as Western Michigan is deadly in the turnover margin. The Broncos are an absurd +18 in turnover differential, a nod to their offense not turning the ball over, but also their defense, which has forced 23 turnovers in their 12 games.

Breakdown

Using a YouTube clip, The Post looked at Western Michigan's last game against Toledo. It was impressive, to say the least.

While Western Michigan allowed 35 points, Toledo's high-powered offense had just 14 headed into the fourth quarter. Western Michigan led by 31. From that point on, it was clear Western Michigan was set on running out the clock, as it sat back and played more conservatively.

But as the fourth quarter progressed, Western Michigan kept its starters in the game, which is where Western Michigan put any doubt of a comeback to rest.

At the 2:20:05 mark, Toledo is down 48-28 with the outcome no longer in doubt. Lined up against the spread, Western Michigan counters with the 4-3 with two stand-up defensive ends, including Adams. He is at the bottom of the screen, lined up against the Toledo right tackle.

At the snap, Adams' first step off the ball is quick, paired with a strong rip move to the outside, forcing quarterback Logan Woodside to step up in the pocket and have to scramble.

Ohio tackles Troy Watson and Joe Lowery will be tasked with stopping Adams, no small challenge.

As Woodside scrambles, the Broncos, having dropped back into what looked like zone coverage, stayed disciplined and stayed in their zones.

Woodside tries to force the ball to a receiver who ran a curl route at the first down marker. Like a flash, up came Phillips and his 4.45 speed to pick off the ball and return it for the Broncos.

Phillips' speed will have to be accounted for on the back end and if it's not, Maxwell and that offensive line might be forced to make some tackles.

Judgement

Western Michigan has a very disciplined, stingy and aggressive defense. Although it may not have the athletes that Tennessee has, the Broncos are certainly, at this point, a much better defense. For the Bobcats, that should be the scariest thought in the world.

The one area where the secondary can be picked on, however, is its size. Phillips is just 5-foot-10 and only one of the four starters is above six feet tall. Jordan Reid, Sebastian Smith and Troy Mangen, Ohio's top two receivers and tight end, are 6-foot-3, 6-foot-3 and 6-foot-6, respectively.

With a height problem for the Broncos' secondary, the Bobcats would be wise to throw down the field to their tall wideouts.

Western Michigan starting linebacker Caleb Bailey is suspended for the first half, stemming from a personal foul for targeting against Toledo. Safety Justin Ferguson is also out with a "gruesome" ankle injury.

The way to slow down Adams and the defensive line is probably the most comforting for Ohio — do what it has done all season. Ohio averages 186 yards on the ground per game and will have to keep a strong number to take away the threat of the pass rush from Adams.

With a power run attack from Dorian Brown and Maleek Irons, the Bobcats could put a decent blow to Western Michigan. A strong run game would speed the game up, take Adams and the defensive line out of the game and continue to milk the clock to keep Western Michigan's offense off the field.

With that working for them, a long pass or two to Reid or Smith could result in a quick-strike touchdown.

Is all of that likely happening? No.

No team has put significant points on the Broncos all season long. But for the Bobcats, a chance is all they can ask for.

@Andrew_gillis70

ag079513@ohio.edu