The LGBT Center Logo.

Query a Queer: What is drag? Why do some queer folk not go home for the holidays?

Q: What is drag? Why do people do it? How is it different than an identity? Is drag and trans the same thing?

A: Drag is a performance where people present themselves in a social aspect, usually for enjoyment, self-expression or for entertainment. They may do this by dressing in clothing, changing their name and/or by using pronouns that differ from their everyday identity.

People who are non-binary also perform in drag shows, as well as people who are asexual, despite the idea that one must have sexual attraction and arousal to participate in drag shows for the erotic stigma around such performances. The two are different because drag is a made-up caricature while trans is who someone is.

Another staff member of the LGBT Center, Nick (he, him, his), summed it up as: “Trans is who you are; drag is what you do.”

Q: Why do some queer folks in college choose not to go home during Thanksgiving break?

A: Some students choose not to return to their hometown and stay with their families because they may come from households that do not approve of who these people are and the lives that they live.

Coming to college often helps students find people that they have more in common with and also offer them a “fresh start.” It can be triggering or toxic for a person to return to a place where they do not feel like their existence is safe or valid. Tensions have been high after the recent election and people are taking this into consideration in order to avoid any mental or physical danger that may arise.

The LGBT Center, Open Doors and United Campus Ministry are hosting a Thanksgiving Supper for folks who are staying in Athens over the break.

Cassidy Paul (pronouns: she/her/hers) is the Education Coordinator for the LGBT Center and Women’s Affairs Commissioner for Student Senate.

Is there something you have always been curious about regarding sexuality and gender but have never been able to ask? Have a question about the LGBTQ community? Email them to lgbt@ohio.edu or oulgbtcenter@gmail.com, tweet @oulgbtcenter with #qaqueer, tumblr at oulgbtcenter, or post/message to the center’s Facebook page, oulgbtcenter. Individuals who submit questions will appear anonymously in our responses. ALL QUESTIONS ARE WELCOME! Don’t hold back! Query it!