Ex Post Facto: Top stories from the week include Jeff Market update, Nellis forum

The first week of Spring Semester kicked off with the first of four presidential forums, an update on the opening of Jefferson Market and developments from December’s bank robberies. Here’s more information on the week’s top stories.

Jefferson Market to open later this month

The newly renovated Jefferson Market will officially open to the public Jan. 25.

The remodeled space will include a Grocery Market, a deli, a vegetable butcher, a cafe, a tea room and a “culinary studio” featuring live cooking demonstrations.

In addition to training employees, Culinary Services is also adding the finishing touches to the space by installing shelving, menus, signage and data systems to prepare for the market’s opening.

The rest of the Jefferson Hall renovations are scheduled to wrap up in August 2017, Greg Robertson, associate vice president for Architecture, Design and Construction, said.

First presidential candidate fields questions during forum

Former Texas Tech University President Duane Nellis was the first presidential candidate to hear questions, many of which were about diversity, from students, faculty and community members.

“One of the things that will define the success of a major, distinguished public university is a commitment to diversity and inclusion and how well you do that,” Nellis said.

During the forum, Nellis also fielded questions about athletic funding, stating athletics need to be “balanced with the academic side.”

The other three presidential candidates will also participate in forums on Jan. 12, 13 and 17.

FBI takes over Athens bank robbery investigation

A case involving a woman who allegedly robbed two Athens banks is now to be handled by federal authorities.

Christine Joy Martin, the suspect in the investigation, was arrested in Parkersburg, West Virginia, on Dec. 30 following another alleged robbery in Morgantown, West Virginia.

"(The federal authorities) were here from the beginning," Athens County prosecuting attorney Keller Blackburn said. "All bank robberies are federal offenses because the banks are backed by federal insurance."

Because the robberies occurred in separate states, the case could be tried in federal court, Blackburn said.

"Regardless of what happens, it will be a while,” he said. “It's still under investigation, nothing has been 100 percent confirmed."

@Heeeeeres_Jonny

jp351014@ohio.edu