Ex Post Facto: Jefferson Hall to be first-year residence; OU buys frat house

As the university continues to expand the number of students on campus, officials are considering new options to manage the number of available beds, including purchasing new properties and renovating old ones. Here’s more information on the top stories from the third week of Spring Semester.

Board of Trustees approves purchase of former frat house

The Ohio University Board of Trustees approved the purchase of a former fraternity house for $2 million.

The building, 4 University Terrace, previously served as the fraternity house for Delta Tau Delta before it was suspended for five years due to hazing incidents in 2009.

The university leased the property during that time, before putting it up for sale in 2011.

The board does not have any concrete plans for the building, but university officials anticipate the property being used for student housing if there are an insufficient number of beds available.

Jefferson Hall to be a first-year residence hall; second-year students to have access to more suite-style rooms

Housing and Residence Life is examining its options for the 2017-18 academic year to accommodate the needs of OU students once construction on Jefferson Hall is finished.

Jefferson Hall is scheduled to open in time for Fall Semester and will be a first-year residence hall, while Tanaka Hall and Luchs Hall will become mixed and second-year, respectively, Jneanne Hacker, director for business operations and conference services, said.

Returning students have increasingly wanted to live in suite-style rooms as opposed to traditional-style options, which is one of the reasons for the change, Hacker said.

“To support the developmental needs and interests of our students, Jefferson Hall will be a first-year experience hall with no specialized living experience,” she said. “We will offer 239 additional suite style spaces to our returning students ... which was of high interest and demand.”

The second-year room selection process will begin once applicants have met the Feb. 17 application deadline. Similar to last year’s process, students will be assigned a random date and time to select a room.

OU student with meningitis discharged from hospital; no new cases reported

The OU student who contracted bacterial meningitis has been released from OhioHealth O’Bleness Hospital, and no other cases have currently been reported, James Gaskell, the Athens City-County health commissioner, said.

“Typically with … that type of meningitis we don’t see clusters of cases,” Gaskell said. “We do not anticipate any other cases.”

Dean of Students Jenny Hall-Jones, who sent an email on Jan. 18 notifying students and staff of the reported case, is now talking with the student about returning to classes.

“The number one concern for Ohio University is the safety and security of our students, faculty and staff,” OU spokeswoman Carly Leatherwood said in an email. “Communication is a critical component for (the) University to keep our community informed when there is any threat to life, health or safety.”

@Heeeeeres_Jonny

jp351014@ohio.edu