Provided via Wikimedia Commons

Ed Sheeran is back with two new songs

Ed Sheeran is back.

The singer, known for his smooth melodies, catchy hooks and beatboxing, debuted two new tunes last Friday, “Castle on the Hill” and “Shape of You.”

After taking a break from social media, Sheeran broke his silence exactly a year later when he posted a blue background on all of his social media platforms. 

Now, for normal people, that doesn't seem like a big deal. But for Sheerios — the unofficial name for his fan base — any news from the red-headed singer is major.

Sheeran’s return to social media was unexpected and had fans speculating whether or not the artist would be dropping a new album. On New Year’s Day, Sheeran posted a video that had the music industry and its listeners jumping for joy — the singer would be releasing new music on Jan. 6.

Throughout the week, Sheeran posted more cryptic messages about his upcoming album — which will be titled ÷ (pronounced "divide") — and new tunes.  

Finally, Sheeran debuted “Castle on the Hill” and “Shape of You,” saying he dropped two songs instead of one because he has been gone for a while.

The two songs contrast each other in sound and content. “Castle on the Hill” tells the story of growing up and the changes that come with getting older. It is an upbeat, feel-good song with a steady beat and a catchy chorus. The second song, “Shape of You,” has a groovy feel to it and features a little bit of Sheeran’s fast-paced singing. Check out the official lyric videos for the singles:

It’s good to have you back, Ed Sheeran. Don’t ever leave again.

@georgiadee35

gd497415@ohio.edu