Erin Franczak

ABCs of Greek Life: ​Sorority and fraternity life play many roles on college campuses

There are many stereotypes about sorority and fraternity life, but most students on college campuses do not realize how much the community is affected by the organizations. Not only does each sorority and fraternity focus on a national philanthropy, they also focus on community outreach. 

Most of the amazing achievements and involvements of Greek Life stay unrecognized along with some other facts that are crucial to know before placing judgment. 

Eighty-five percent of Fortune 500 companies have executives with Greek letters. About 71 percent of students in Greek Life graduate. There are many positives to being involved in this organization, and it is a great opportunity overall.

Throughout the semester the Women's Panhellenic Association, National Pan-Hellenic Council, Multicultural Greek Council, and Interfraternity Council work together for certain projects to better help the Athens areas.

Homecoming and Greek Week are two huge philanthropic events. There is a competition between teams consisting of members of WPA, NPHC, MGC and IFC to bring in the most cans. 

The Penny Wars competition, where teams bring in as many pennies as possible to up their score, but opponents can use dimes, nickels and quarters to knock their score back down. The winning team decides where the profits will go.

Sorority and Fraternity Life also takes pride in being a part of Athens Beautification Day during Spring Semester. Many sororities and fraternities will come out to help clean up and makes Athens even more beautiful. 

SFL also sponsors Sisterhood of the Traveling Dresses, a fun philanthropy where women can bring in lightly used homecoming and other formal dresses to donate. It helps to give all young women, regardless of their status, their Cinderella moment without breaking the bank.

Erin Franczak is a sophomore studying journalism with a focus in news and information at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. Do you have questions about Greek Life? Let Erin know by emailing her at ef441614@ohio.edu.