An OUPD vehicle is parked outside of Scott Quad. (JOSHUA LIM | FILE)

Crime alert warns campus of tree branch assault

Police are searching for two assault suspects, one of whom is accused of hitting a male in the head with a tree branch.

The victim reported to the Ohio University Police Department that two unknown men assaulted him at about 1 a.m. as he tried to enter Biddle Hall on East Green. He “engaged the two unknown males in a physical altercation” after one struck him in the head with the branch, according to a crime alert the department sent Friday. The victim suffered bruises to his head and hand.

OUPD is investigating the incident, which it classifies as felony assault. The alert describes the suspects as two white males, one wearing a black jacket, the other wearing a blue hoodie.

OUPD sends crime alerts when it believes a crime poses a threat to OU students and employees, according to the department’s website.

The crime alert is the fourth OUPD has sent since the beginning of Fall Semester. The department has sent two for rape and one for aggravated robbery.

On Dec. 2, the department sent out a crime alert for an alleged rape. Someone other than the victim, a female student, told OUPD about the incident.

On Nov. 17, the department sent a crime alert about an alleged robbery in which a suspect reportedly brandished a knife.

On Nov. 2, the department sent out a crime alert after a female reported that she had been raped in her dorm room in Sowle Hall.

Both November cases are still active, according to the OUPD website. The department did not investigate the December case because the victim herself did not contact police.

@baileygallion

bg272614@ohio.edu